Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

ZR1 wheels looking a bit tired, has anyone attempted to refinsh/paint them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 wheels looking a bit tired, has anyone attempted to refinsh/paint them?

I have a set of aftermarket ZR1 wheels which I purchased new back in 2002. They are polished and clear coated and the clear coat is cracking all over the place making them rather tired looking.

I was thinking of maybe trying to refinish them and go for the gunmetal gray look. Has anyone attempted this? What do I look out for and what paint would I use? Try and find a duplicolor rattle can? Sand, aim, and spray?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Although I haven't done it, I've considered using plasti-dip. They have a gunmetal grey rattle can version that you can try, and if you don't like it, peel it off.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Busch makes a kit that includes clear coat stripper, and clear coat for re-application. I've never seen it locally, but Eckler's Corvette Supply used to sell the kit. Maybe they still do.....
Old 02-12-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Busch makes a kit that includes clear coat stripper, and clear coat for re-application. I've never seen it locally, but Eckler's Corvette Supply used to sell the kit. Maybe they still do.....
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still on the fence on what I am going to do, but it's nice to know all the options.

I am still considering getting new wheels,....decisions decisions.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powder coating would be a good option. Going rate was about $85 per wheel when I looked into it.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smg267
Powder coating would be a good option. Going rate was about $85 per wheel when I looked into it.
I considered that too, but there's no local guys around that powder coat anything but basic colors which I really don't want to do, especially at that cost. Having them chromed is even more expensive at which point new wheels would be more affordable.

Quick Reply: ZR1 wheels looking a bit tired, has anyone attempted to refinsh/paint them?