Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

What are my options for alternative to wheel chroming?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default What are my options for alternative to wheel chroming?

So, I 've been coming across few different set of wheels I like but they are not made in chrome.

After some looking around, Wheel chroming isn't offered within 3 hours of my area. I saw some spray on chrome but found out it just looks like spray on silver and doesn't have the deep chrome shine, which makes sense.

I saw few cars around that have "chrome" vinyl wrap.

On the car, good vinyl wrap lasts 3 years (or the brands claim).

Has anyone tried wrapping the wheel in vinyl or will it just not last because of brake dust and if wheels get hot after driving??

I know this is science project vs a permanent wheel chrome.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

What about polished aluminum? I love the look of polished aluminum.......
Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If you want true chrome and are picky, then nothing else will give the exact same appearance. Some people use the words "chrome" and "polished" interchangeably, but the end appearance is not at all the same to a keen eye.

There is a process called PVD that produces a chrome-like appearance. I guess it would be easiest to describe this as a sort of chrome powder coat. By itself, it looks pretty good, but when compared directly to traditional chrome you can tell it's not quite the same (the reflection isn't as clear, the finish isn't as smooth or as bright.)

Anyway, PVD might be an option if you don't mind the small difference. If you are the picky type (like me) I'd suggest looking at one in person first though, as pictures tend to not show these subtle differences.

Quick Reply: What are my options for alternative to wheel chroming?