Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How do I polish aluminum welds with nicks in them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I polish aluminum welds with nicks in them?

Just like the title says, I took rubing compound to them last weekend and they came out really nice, then I took mothers and they were just a little better. But I have a couple of deep nicks where it looks like a air gun slipped and hit the rim. Any sugestions on how to make them less noticable? I know I cant get rid of them completely. Also I have some swearl marks where the buffing wheel broke thru. Can I use a fine sandpaper and then work my way back to polish?

They look good enough right now but This could be a winter project.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as long as it is not deep, you can buff them with an abrasive compound, then bring back to high-luster with a finishing polish. If you use sandpaper, be very careful, it doesn't take much...avoid anything less then 500 wet sand to start or you'll be sanding for quite some time removing each sanding marks w/progressivly numerically higher paper.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. Whats the most abrasive compound you recomend? I used rubbing compound and it wasnt doing much.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubbing compound probably won't do much unless your pad is a bit agressive also.

Probably the easiest way is to pick up locally at a shop that does polishing...You can also pick up greasless compound at eastwood, if your not sure of where to go.

There's so many variable of what you can use, depending on the buffer pad you use, speed, pressure etc. If your not sure what compound I'm referring to, check out the 131XX series stuff. i.e. 13131, 13132 etc. They are all relatively inexpensive <10.00.

I think they sell a convienient wheel refinishing kit also that will include all that you need (and then some). It's in the same series 131XX part numbers.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 08-29-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok thanks.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

BigDog motorcyles uses this product on their motorcyles. When you get around to putting the final polish, use it. It will put a shine on the aluminum almost close to chrome.

http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/simichrome.htm

hth
Old 08-29-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll check it out, thanks