Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Who to use for shipping rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Who to use for shipping rims?

I just shipped some rims to someone in Canada and I used UPS. They quoted me $72 for up to 115lbs over the phone. When I got there they charged me $185! They told me the boxes and packing materials were $80. They weighed the rims, 22lbs each, then said they had to charge me for 35lbs each because thats the standard weight for the size of box they had to use. Needless to say I was upset, but is this normal, or did I get screwed?
Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems odd . . . th size of the box doesn't doctate the weight . . . if the box was over sized well then there is an extra charge, but a box for a wheel shouldn't exceed the size . .

Sounds like you had them pack them right? So shipping may have been $72 as quated, but the packing materials were damned expensive. Shipping over the border gets tricky too . . .
Old 09-09-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

if you leave the tire on the rim, and cover the sides with carboard you can just attach a fedex tag loop.

i did this on tires (didnt need to ship the rims they were jonk) and it was like 2 tires $22 to usa. Everything outside usa double the price lol.

29lbs to UK = $74 usps air mail
Old 09-09-2004, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

That is what I said. Why does the size of the box change the weight. The guy said it automatically gets sent as a certain weight for the box. I don't get the whole border thing either. It was going to Canada, it wasn't going overseas. They charge so much more just to cross a border on the same continent. I will check FedEx if I ever need to ship again.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:06 PM
PR Director

Damn thats alot for shipping. I shipped a set of firehawk wheels a couple years ago and was charged $95 from UPS. Fedex is the cheapest for shipping things. I have been using them for a year and couldn't be much happier.