Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fats And Skinnies?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fats And Skinnies?????

I am looking to buy a set of wheels for my SS. I want 3.5 or 4 inch in the front and 10 inch in the rear. What brands and sizes(15" or 16") should I be looking at? I don't want to do any grinding, I really need to get rid of my heavy ZR1's for the track. 9.5's on the front 11's on the rear are just too heavy. TIA!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Bogart rims are your best choice.

1) Ours are built specifically for the application, not using a “one size fits all approach”.

2) Large weight advantages are seen over others. i.e. you will save a total of ~50 pounds of converted rotational to static weight if you use ours instead of a prostar!!! That’s a huge advantage. Even more of a gain with centerlines.

3) Our rims are show-quality. Since the rims use only high quality materials as other high-end manufactures use, they can be highly polished where color and luster are outstanding.

e-mail or call us if you would like additional help.

Steve
Pres.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought some convo pros. light as hell and you dont need to clearence the calipers to fit. also i like how the wheel studs stick out of the rim. with pro stars or drag lights you need to use extra long shanks which could come loose.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys, I am kinda on a budget due to the recent engine and rear end. I would love to get a set of Bogarts, they are definitely the best wheel. Just kinda broke right now
Old 09-12-2004, 02:44 PM
FormerVendor

I see guys stating this often...then they spend the difference on another mod that doesn't reap benifits of the Bogarts. Even from an appearance standpoint alone, the wheels are worth it...nothing worse then saving a few dollars and not liking the way the car looks as wheels can make a car's appearance.

If you don't have the funds, then wait...do it once and be done with it...I've never seen a guy going from Bogarts to welds or centerlines...often, I have guys going from those to the Bogarts...there IS a reason for this, there are gains to be seen.

Folks will say they like the way the other ecomomy drags look on their car, sometimes from a pic, they do look pretty good...in person though, none of them hold a candle to the Bogarts finish. It is like comparing a fiske rim to a TT rim. If you looked at them in a pic, it may be hard to tell the differences in quality...but in person...no comparison...night and day.

If you insist on a low budget rim, I'd suggest 10" weld prostar/draglites, they are lighter weight then centerlines in addition to better BS options. There is no sense on putting an 8 inch rim on your car since you are limited to a 10.5 tire...traction is always an issue...using a 10 inch rim opens you up to using a wider tire i.e. 11.5+.

Regarding studs, I highly recommend going to higher tensile studs regardless which rim you choose. Using drag rims with sticky tires puts a higher stress load on the studs. Breaking studs DOES happen! I've seen it and have customers whom have broke their stock studs!

Neglecting the weight benifits can be a mistake...for the few dollars more and less fitment issues, I feel it really is worth it. A min of 50 lbs is alot of weight to be giving up. To give you an example, purchasing a hood for more then it costs for the difference of our rims just to save 30lbs...if I had to do one or the other, the wheels will prove to be a greater benifit. Obviously, doing both reap your best gains...

Last edited by steve10; 09-12-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

bogarts are very nice rims and i wish i could afford some but after a little calculation it looks like there going to cost me $1400. i bought my centerlines for $600 5 years ago and have been useing them on the street since then hitting numerous pot holes and have not bent one yet. my LS1 is the third car they have been on and i couldnt be more happier with how good they still look. of coarse i polish them every now and then and i am sure that bogarts will look better but still i am very pleased that they have lasted this long. i am happy enought that if they were to get stolen or something, that i would buy another set. i would really like to own some bogarts but my income is not that big to justify them. but if i were a wealthy racer like some on here, i would probably get a set.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

taqwache,

No disrepect meant...I hope no one reading my comments feels i'm putting down the other brands. Economy rims do have their place, though sacrifices will be made especially in the weight department. Appearance is in the eye of the beholder.

Weight advantages with light rims is shouldn't be overlooked. Especially with a centerline setup. Directly from centerline's rep, their rims are the heaviest the drag rims (from a weight comparison, the lightest are our P1 Bogarts, next woudl be Weld ecomomy line then centerlines line. Centerline also do not offer wide rims for stock setup cars which means you can't run an 11.5 or larger tires 10 inch centerline rims backspace is waaay off for our cars. An 8 inch drag rim on late model cars really is pretty small. Unless your in a class that restricts usage to an 8 inch rim, then I don't understand why some settle for such a small rim. Since traction is an issue, why not put a larger contact patch tire on the car to help times?

Is a min of 50 of converted static lbs important to you to remove? I can't answer that one for you. Is is important for one to purchase a lightweight hood or k-member to shed 50 lbs while spending quite a bit more of the difference? Once again, one has to find where their comfort zone of loosing weight and spending money is.

The low sec cars are seeing many of the benifits of these mods as weight really does add up over time. Can I guarentee that you will loose .05 seconds with the Bogarts...no I can't, though the standard of ~100 static lbs/.1 is widely accepted through the racing industry.

Our rims aren't for everyone. We aren't the typical "wall mart" shoppers choice (not that is a bad thing...just a totally different goal oriented choice).

Prices will vary with builds, prices shown are MSRP, actual sales pricing does vary.

Last edited by steve10; 09-12-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

i didnt think you were trying to disrespect, its cool. im just one of those tight budget racers. thats another reason i have not bought another set of rims in 5 years . your right on the weight savings, a hood and k-member are expensive for the little weight they take off. thats why i still have the stock ones on my car. there is a guy here in town that is going to buy some bogarts though. once he does, i will be able to see them in person and admire them.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Launching!

so what is the weight comparison Weld Vs.Bogart?? both being 15X3.5 and 15X10.

and also the price diffrence est. is there a link also so i can look at the Bogarts? iam a big weight freak about my car and i will be using screws on the rims to hold the tire on the rim better so looks really dont matter. moment Weld Prostars are the ones iam looking to get, Price is really good considering its at cost.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:11 PM
FormerVendor

LS1 bogarts compared to similar sized welds (full set) is a total of ~8 lbs lighter then prostars...alittle heavier if you add spacers in with the welds to make them fit. The 75% of the weight saved is with the rears.

Using a standard of 1-6 to 1-8 conversion factor (depends on manufacture you talk to) nets you a converted rotational to static weight difference of 48-64lbs!

LT1 Bogarts are a bit lighter...weight will vary with parts used for differernt applications. Our lightest drag setup is ~6.5 lbs for a front runner to give you an idea...that is real light.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 09-13-2004, 09:24 PM
FormerVendor

btw, look at my sig at the bottom of my posts...there you will find our Bogart gallery as well as additional rims listed in groups on the sister site.

Please don't read this as being rude....this is just meant as a guidline for you....If your shopping by price alone, choose the weld prostar/draglite series, they will be less expensive. You will be getting an ecomomy rim that is manufactured for economy and has it's shortcomings (to be expected for an entry level rim)...Probably the best entry level rim you can find for the price.

If you want the best, high quality material, outstanding finish, and lightest direct fit rim, then spend a few more bucks for ours. You will not be disapointed in the product. You definitly get what you pay for...our rims are no exception.

There is a reason why weld sells high end rims also...they ARE better and made with high quality components...only problem is they are not specifically made for F-body setups, BS, as well as fitment is an issue. They as well are in line with our price-points.

Email me if you would like a price quote.

Screws won't mess up the rims or it's appearance....here's a quick link of some that were screwed: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=bogart
Old 09-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Launching!

what is special about the bolted design, Looks?? and the bead lock is that the same thing as screwing bolts through the rim?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:45 AM
FormerVendor

The bolted design is a different style. Bead locks are a MUCH more secure way of prevening wheel slip. Only meant for high hp situations...they are heavy, and not recommended for anything modest (hp wise)...unless your pushing over 1000hp, I would say, just screw the rims unless tire slippage is that much of a concern.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Launching!

sent you a email.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

BOGART....THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE.