Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

vibration @ 60mph, poorly mounted wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 01:07 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration @ 60mph, poorly mounted wheel?

Hey all,

So I just got my GSD3's recently, and I went for a drive this morning. Pls keep in mind I have no experience with tires/wheels. Anyway I am driving along and at about 60, the car seems to get a bit shaky, vibrates pretty good, seems to feel like its coming from the passenger rear wheel.

So I got home, checked all my lug covers (stock 98z chrome rims) and they were all tight, except for the (lo and behold) passenger rear wheel, of which all 5 I had to retighten by hand, as they were pretty loose. Not falling off loose, but turnable by hand loose. It also appears from the looking at the rear of the car that one of the drive tires may be tilted slightly inward at the bottom, I cannot be sure, maybe the sun is just playing tricks on my eyes.

Now I dont know if all this means that the lugs themselves are loose or what, but since they were just mounted recently with my new GSD3s, I am thinking maybe it was a poor install job? Any input would be greatly appreciated. can't risk taking her up 60+ until I get this resolved.

TY
brad
Old 03-03-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Loose lugs would be a problem, but the wheel and tire might not be balanced properly.

Double check ALL your lugs and make sure they are torqued to 100 ft/lbs. No more no less.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:43 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

thank you good sir.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a GM for a goodyear reatailer. First I would jack up the car and take off the wheel. Look at all the studs and see if any damage was done to them. Next check all the lug nuts for wear inside. Put the wheel back on tighten the lug nuts as tight as you can, then lower the car and torq them down. Or take it back to the place that did all the work and have them check it all but when they have all the wheels off ask to look the car over yourself.

I will say it could have been alot worse. A wheel off at 60mph could of been

Hope everything works out ok. If you have any more questions just ask.

Also if you do take it back have them recheck all the tires for proper balance and air presure.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:31 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Thanks alot!!!! could you explain the balance issue? I mean what is balance? I am really dumb when it comes to tires. I guess I should know these things huh?

I am gonna get all four wheels off this weekend though.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
Thanks alot!!!! could you explain the balance issue? I mean what is balance? I am really dumb when it comes to tires. I guess I should know these things huh?

I am gonna get all four wheels off this weekend though.
Tire balanceing is requierd because you have to compensate for weight of the wheel and tire. When you mount on the balancer and spin it it calculates how much weight it needs.I hope your wheel is not bent or out of round just have who ever rebalances the tires to check for out of roundness on wheels and tires.Also ask them how often thet calibrate their machine because lots of shops dont or dont know how.It will affect on how accurate the machine is, good luck.