Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

HP wheels wont balance

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HP wheels wont balance

hey guys- i got a set of hpr5s a while back and i've been driving with them shaking like hell for a while now. so i took them to a shop and they said they would try to rebalance them for me but they may have to put weights on the lip to get it balanced right. anyone else having this problem? also, could this be cause of the tires? the tires are hankooks. thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i balance tires at my job...and Ive only had a problem with one style 20 inch spokers.....I havent ever NOT been able to balance a wheel/tire combo other than those...and i even got them balanced after about 20 minutes of spinnin and retryin weights...and on "custom" wheels i only use sticky unless the customer wants hammer-on weights....I hate people hammerin on a custom wheel...just makes me curnge up...well if u was close to me id tell ya come let me try'm....but oh well...good luck on that one.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have they broken the wheel/tire down and just run the wheel on the balancer? Could be a bad tire . . .
Old 08-28-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Have they broken the wheel/tire down and just run the wheel on the balancer? Could be a bad tire . . .
that was my assumption, and the first shop i went to said that the tire just needed to be rotated on the wheel. the problem is i cannot find one competent wheel shop in this area. every place i go gives me some BS story to avoid working on my car. the first shop i went to was 25miles away and they didnt fix anything. i got so frustrated that i just left.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

now did they sau they wouldnt balance or are u just noticing a vibration while driving? im not familiar with these wheels but if the center isnt machined EXACTLY for ur vehicle then most company sell a spacer ring that is and will center the rim on the hub. although a static or alloy type balance isnt always accurate as dynamic (weights on both sides) it can still be done with very little if any problems. also ask them if the tire is hopping on the rim.... the tire may need to be spun on the rim to help align the high and low spots. i do this for a living so if u have any questions u can pm me. hope some of this helps.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

thanks.. i'm gonna try again with another shop and if the problem persists, i'm gonna pm you. i appreciate the offer.