Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

goodrich t/a kd's or goodyear F1 Gs D3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goodrich t/a kd's or goodyear F1 Gs D3?

i have t/a kdws now and i think they pretty bad tires...wet and dry traction on them i think is horrible...so i wanted opinons on wut u guys think would be a better daily driven tire...me and my buddys also like 2 do a decent amt. of street racing which is another weak point for these tires..im open for opinons on other tires 2....thanx
Old 03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dZ28adams
i have t/a kdws now and i think they pretty bad tires...wet and dry traction on them i think is horrible...so i wanted opinons . . .
Haven't you made up your mind already???

But anyway, I wouldn't not consider a KD a "horrible" tire, but I would not consider it a good daily driver tire, nor be worth while in the rain . . . .

KD = DRY
KDW = Dry and Wet use . .
KDWS = Dry, Wet and Snow use . . .

Looking at the tread design of the GSD3 I would consider it s better all purpose tire over the KD . . .
Old 03-27-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

for what I look for in a tire (great steering response and dry traction) I would take the KD no questions asked. I don't drive my car in the rain though, so wet traction is not a concern for me. I love my current KD's (265/35/18)...
Old 03-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Teching In

It rains in Maryland. GS-D3's.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Both tires rock, but I chose the BFG KD's. The GS-D3 kicks some major ***, but the BFG's are a bit better for handling and dry traction though useless in the rain, which doesn't concern me anyway....as I avoid rain like the devil in my car. Either way, you get one of the best street tires for our cars (only other one is Michelin Pilot Sport).
Old 03-27-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

KDs if you don't drive in rain.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dZ28adams
i have t/a kdws now and i think they pretty bad tires...wet and dry traction on them i think is horrible...so i wanted opinons on wut u guys think would be a better daily driven tire...me and my buddys also like 2 do a decent amt. of street racing which is another weak point for these tires..im open for opinons on other tires 2....thanx
If you will need to drive your car in the snow do NOT get the GSd3's. They are completely useless in any amount of snow. I'm sure the KD's are pretty close.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's traction on the KD's? I've got 420 RWHP and my Eagle F1's and the Firehawk SZ50's both will spin tires all the way through third. Zero traction with anything more than 3/4 throttle.

I'm pissed off because if I was at a stoplight and some Hyundai Tiburon with 170 hp raced me to 60 he might win because I'd eigther spin or staying so light on the throttle that I'm not using any power.

Should I get KD's (dry only) or should I use Nitto 555R's? I don't want Nittos's because I enjoy tearing up the North Georgia mountains.

Any traction solutions? I don't care about weather because my Firehawk hasn't seen a drop of rain since I bought it.

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 03-27-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
How's traction on the KD's? I've got 420 RWHP and my Eagle F1's and the Firehawk SZ50's both will spin tires all the way through third. Zero traction with anything more than 3/4 throttle.

I'm pissed off because if I was at a stoplight and some Hyundai Tiburon with 170 hp raced me to 60 he might win because I'd eigther spin or staying so light on the throttle that I'm not using any power.

Should I get KD's (dry only) or should I use Nitto 555R's? I don't want Nittos's because I enjoy tearing up the North Georgia mountains.

Any traction solutions? I don't care about weather because my Firehawk hasn't seen a drop of rain since I bought it.
dry traction is pretty decent (better than the SZ50's)..not as good as the Toyo T1-S's though....they hooked up really good but had a spongy sidewall....
Old 03-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
dry traction is pretty decent (better than the SZ50's)..not as good as the Toyo T1-S's though....they hooked up really good but had a spongy sidewall....
I borrowed a set of BFG drag radials on 16" twisties for the drag strip. Those puppies would dead hook when I punched the throttle.

I don't want BFG'S (wobbly and unstable as hell), but I've never seen or driven Nittos. Never even heard of Toyo's. I think I'm getting past the point of street tires. It's only going to get worse when I add a 'charger later this year.

What are the absolute BEST street tires that act like a drag radial?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Get Nitto RII's all the way around. Great handling amd they stick fairly decent. I'm past street tires too.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Viper
Get Nitto RII's all the way around. Great handling amd they stick fairly decent. I'm past street tires too.
I'll take your word on it. I'll try 'em out. If you've got 430whp and an avatar of a T/A going through a road course, your advice should be pretty good.

It's settled. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It's tough at this level of power to find a tire that won't go up in smoke yet you can drive in the rain. The RII's ( not the regular drag radial ) fits the bill well. If you do get caught in a monsoon downpour, do not drive over 55.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Viper
It's tough at this level of power to find a tire that won't go up in smoke yet you can drive in the rain. The RII's ( not the regular drag radial ) fits the bill well. If you do get caught in a monsoon downpour, do not drive over 55.
Yeah as mentioned before, I've never been close to rain with this car. Hell I look at the radar on the Weather Channel before I go out... not kidding. I just want the best gripping dry weather tire that can still take a turn with some G force and last an honest 5-9k miles.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Let us know how them Nittos work. I'm shopping for tires too and have been looking hard at the GS-D3's but I want something for the streets that hook as good as a street tire can and is rain driveable.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

I have the GS D#'s.. I have had a set of 2754017 and now running a set of 2753518 on my C5 rims. I love these tires to death. There cheaper than most and out perfrom just about all tires. And the tread is awesome!! Smooth ride, quite and great rain traction. but as in any tire, if you want to break it loose, You will.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

GS-D3's!!!!! I have them and they have great traction and cornering, I have nothing to compare them to but they were just voted best all around high performance tire by road and track (I think that was the mag) and a Tuner mag. Check out tire rack and the comments on each tire and the ratings see for yourself.