Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Y2K rims, chromed or aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y2K rims, chromed or aluminum?

Hey!

I have Y2K rims on my ride and I want to polish them with wetsandpaper to get rashes out and whatnot. Then polish them with wax to make them shine real good. But before I start I have to know how they are made? If they are just polished aluminum (which would be the best) or if they are chromed, which will mean I can only polish them with wax and have to get them rechromed (really expensive) to get all the rashes out.

Could any1 help me here?

Best regards
-Daniel
Attached Thumbnails Y2K rims, chromed or aluminum?-pict0210.jpg   Y2K rims, chromed or aluminum?-namnl-s.jpg   Y2K rims, chromed or aluminum?-pict0211.jpg  
Old 04-18-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

I'd guess they look chromed. (I can't tell, the close-up looks like dirty chrome, the other two look like chrome.)

Unless you've noticed a serious difference in appearnce driving through the elements over a 6month time, then they are probably chrome.

Polished aluminum will oxidize and tarnish especially if you drive on rain soaked streets. You have to constantly maintain them to keep at near chrome levels. Trust me, I know.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Teching In

then they are chromed, everything points towards that. But then I know now and may take the correct action to polish them into better shape. Thanks. -Daniel