Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Noob tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob tire questions

Ok how do you tell if your tires are wearing out... besides the threads being word to to the bottom of the tire. Cause they don't look that bad, at least i don't think so. Cause every time i go around a corned, even at really low speeds my cars tires scream/squeal going around corners. I can put a pic of my tires if that would help you guys. So my final question is what kind of tires should i get to replace them. I don't have tons of money but I want some tires that grip really well on the street but at the same time won't wear out in 12k miles.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires squealing going around corners is normal, especially in the hot weather everyone's been having lately. Blacktop surfaces and real smooth concrete make it more pronounced. Your tires aren't worn out if they still have tread left and aren't weather cracked.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok thanks buddy I appreciate the quick help. Oooo one more question. When i floor it, it sounds/feels like the car is bouncing and it won't grip... is this normal in hot weather or in normal conditions anyway?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes...that's called wheelhop, and you don't want it. I assume your car is lowered? You need to look into some lower control arm relocation brackets. Do some searching in the handling/braking section on wheelhop and you'll find what you need to do to eliminate it.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, can this wheel hop damage my car. How much am I looking to spend to fix this issue. I have adjustable shocks set at setting six out of twelve. Should I try making them stiffer or not so stiff? I don't really have much money to spend.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

The best way to stop wheelhop COMPLETLY is to get a Torque Arm. I believe Random Tech sells them for around the 299 mark? Well that was when i bought mine

As for the tires The usual rule of thumb is the penny trick, you set the penny down in the crack upside down and if it is below lincoln's head you should replace them but i just run them til cords show (not reccomended at all)