Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Speed Ratings, going over??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Speed Ratings, going over??

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has blown a tire due to exceeding the speed rating. A friend of mind told me he was going 140 in an SHO Taurus, and he knew the speed rating was less then a V.

What are the details of exceeding the speed rating?

Last edited by TransAm12sec; 10-01-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking a blown tire at those speeds would make a surviving driver hard to find.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the rating is what the speed has to hold up to for a sustained period of time. Like the v is 140 for ten minutes. And i believe the z is 160 for ten minutes. But i am not positive.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

the speed rating is related to load rating and psi. for the most part a tire can hold more weight at a higher pressure at a lower speed than its rating. at sears we have a book with a chart in it showing different load combinations and the necessary environment for the tire to not just blow up.

now i doubt they use "shitty glue" that fails at a certain mph, but i'm not gonna go out and test how long it takes for a tire to fall apart above its rated speed limit, and i bet the NHTSA or DOT (whoever) are a little conservative with those ratings...

all those cars on cops that fly down the highway until they are riding on rims...most likely above the tires speed limit unless they hit a spike strip...