Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Coloring the rim color ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coloring the rim color ?

Just wondering if its even possible, can I spray paint/color my stock rims to a different color ? I'm looking to change the color of my stock rims to a darker metallic color. Before any tells me that I should just buy new rims, i'm saving up for headers, gears and a stall. I will buy new rims but before then, is it possible to buy a can of spray paint and change the color of my rim ? thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes... But only if you are Very.. Very good with Prep. I did my own in my garage with duplicolor Rattle can. But I also sanded primed, sanded, primed, sanded painted, sanded, painted, sanded, cleared.. ect... it was not a simple spray it on and done thing. Also If its done very well with good prep it will last too. thus far 25K on my rims and there are only chips around the lug nut holes. I've sprayed 4 sets of stock rims like this and all of them held up. 2 sets of them held up through multiple Winter seasons of winter only driving too with no chips or anyhitng.

If you just spray them all half assed they will chip and the paint will come off in a couple thousand miles.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you leave the wheel's edge unpainted because it would be messed up anyways during tire changes?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro

Yes... But only if you are Very.. Very good with Prep. I did my own in my garage with duplicolor Rattle can. But I also sanded primed, sanded, primed, sanded painted, sanded, painted, sanded, cleared.. ect... it was not a simple spray it on and done thing. Also If its done very well with good prep it will last too. thus far 25K on my rims and there are only chips around the lug nut holes. I've sprayed 4 sets of stock rims like this and all of them held up. 2 sets of them held up through multiple Winter seasons of winter only driving too with no chips or anyhitng.

If you just spray them all half assed they will chip and the paint will come off in a couple thousand miles.
Wanna paint mine?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Did you leave the wheel's edge unpainted because it would be messed up anyways during tire changes?

no I didn't want to paint the entire rim is all. Gives it a bit of a contrast rather than all one color. When I did paint the whole rim lip and all mounting and dismounting tires didn't mess them up at all though. I just had to let the paint cure for a couple weeks to be sure it was hardened enough to handle the tires being mounted. The set in the pic above I was super lazy with and didn't bother to have the tire dismounted or even take the weights off.. lol. Stock 16's are just not worth it because I'll just use them for DR's or snow tires when the Tires are worn out.

Not into painting anyone elses rims.. its very time consuming.