Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Powdercoater messed up my wheels. Now he wants to recoat them. OK to do that?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoater messed up my wheels. Now he wants to recoat them. OK to do that?

Well guys my powder coater had some issues with his tape when he masked off the center section of my TT IIs. The tape got brittle and tore instead of coming off, leaving jagged edges along the edges. He told me that he would probably have to soak then re coat the rims. I know alluminum is a softer metal and heard some stories about some wheels distorting when powder coating. Will it be safe for him to re coat the rims? The rest of the rims look great just the edge around where he taped off the lip where I wanted polished. Any thoughts would be great. I told him I would call back friday and let him know.

Bob S.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I had mine coated there was a problem with the powder and they had to be re-coated. The shop had to strip the coating off and start over once they got a new batch of powder. I think it should be fine seeing as mine were ok
Old 11-23-2006, 06:14 AM
10 Second Club

just tell them if they mess it up then you want new wheels. id say let them do it