Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help! Chrome wheels scratched!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! Chrome wheels scratched!!

Ok, first off...I'm an idiot. Huge idiot. There is no need to reply to this thread if that is all you have to say, I'd just like some advice on what to do.

I have a 1998 Z28 with stock 16in chrome 5-star wheels. We got some bad snow/ice here the last month and today was a nice day and my gf and I decided to clean our cars. She has a Jeep Liberty with stock, unchromed wheels. We do hers first and she uses a sponge to clean her wheels along with some wheel cleaner. If it matters, it is one of those sponges with the softer yellow side and the rougher green side, we used the green side. ..It got rid of the brakedust/sand/icemelt orgy remnants no problem. Well, we get to mine and I use the wheel cleaner then scrub the corner crevices with the sponge (green side). There has always been small black/brownish deposits in the corners. Well, it came off. I put on Mothers Chrome polish and polished the **** out of them with a terry cloth. They still shine like crazy from a standing gaze, but if you get down eye-level with it you can easily see MANY thinner than hairline scratches. The car looks good, but I know that the wheels would shine better without the scratches. Is this something I can fix with some sort of polish/buffer when I change out my brake pads next week or am I better off just leaving it as is until I get my new wheels sometime in the summer?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its scratches in the coating itself, I'm pretty sure you can't remove them
Old 02-04-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't polish chrome

Just leave it as is