Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best tires for my situation....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires for my situation....

Ok, I have read more than a dozen threads about people looking for tires for their cars. I have seen brands and sizes thrown about with majority changing it's opinion pretty much every thread. This did not help much with my decision. Also, most of the threads were about people trying to get tires that hook well or do great at the track. This is not my goal, so that made the threads apply even less to my problem. So, I thought I would post my own situation and see if anyone had opinions on it.

Basically, I own a 2000 Formula A4 that I purchased last June. The only mods I have done are lid and a hooker catback. So, controlling the massive animal that is my RHWP is not a concern of mine.

Currently, I just have my stock 16' inch wheels with the original Eagle RS-As. Which, if they are the ORIGINAL tires and the original owner did not simply use RS-A's when it came time to change them out, would mean these tires have 51k miles on them. Which, by the way they look and handle...would be easily believed.

My plan is to buy a set of chrome O.E. Concepts 17x9.5 Z06 wheels in the next week or so. However, I have yet to figure out which wheels to get. I will probably buy both items from TomzWheels and have them mount and balance them for me. So, my intended purchase is 275/40/17 all around.

My question (after that whole novel I just wrote), is what tires would be best for me considering:

- This is a DD that is driven about 40 miles each day, five days a week with some change on the weekend.

- It will be driven in rain, however, snow is unlikely for my part of VA.

- This will not be used at the track at all. Though, I might take it for a spin the next time our local Amphib Base has an AutoX event.

- I don't want to be buying a new set of tires after 10k miles.

Given all that, and after reading around a bit....I see that the majority of people (who are not using the tries for drag purposes ie. front end) usually go with one of the following 4 tires: KDW, KDWS, F1 GS-D3, and P-zero Nero M+S.

However, that does not make my decision any easier, hence the reason I post.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any input!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

I would go with the D3s. If you are worried that they will turn to "blocks of ice" (which they WILL) when the dry temps fall < 45* F, I would go to the Nero M&Ss (but these WILL "chunk" MUCH worse than the D3s during your occasional autocross, as well as not gripping like the D3s). Both of these tires will KILL the KDs in wet weather.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Teching In

hmmm. Well, the AutoX would more than likely be like a once MAYBE twice a year thing.....if at all. Simply because I don't have time right now to do pretty much anything. So, if I didn't even factor that in...I should go with the Nero's right?

My main goal in getting the tires is getting something that will get me to and from school (i drive 30 miles round trip to and from class at the local university M-F) and work safely. I also want them to not wear out after a year or so, or 10k whichever comes first.

From what I have heard and read, the KD's (W and WS) have good tread life and given the fact that I won't be racing the heck out of them means I should have a really good value there. However, you are saying the Nero's are better in the wet traction category.....would they also be better in the tire wear category given that I don't abuse my tires?
Old 02-24-2007, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a fan of the BFG line. They last a while too.