Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheels Came loose, now the steering wheel shakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels Came loose, now the steering wheel shakes

Last week i took off all 4 wheels and tires to do my brakes, all went fine, execpt now i forgot to torque down the wheels when i put them back on. needless to say the next day i was goin down the highway and the front left wheel came loose and it was shaking. i drove it for about 3 miles and pulled into an auto store and borrowed their torque wrench and torqued down all four wheels .

Then when i got home i lifted the car and took off all four wheels and torqued them down again cus i didnt think they woud be balanced right if they were crooked and the car was on the ground.

Now the problem is, i notice when im goin like 60mph on the highway the car's steering wheel shakes?!? is this from the wheels not being tight, or the wheels not being balanced or did i mess something else up whenever they came loose the first time?

thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its possible that you odd longed the holes in the wheel for the studs. Pull the wheels off again and take a look at the holes and see if they look egg shaped or bigger in any way. If there not go and have them rebalanced and see if she still shakes.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get them rebalanced. It might be possible that you bent the center of the wheel.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wheel bearing!

My guess would be a wheel bearing in the front got wasted, check this ASAP could be very dangerous.