Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Aluminum Polishing Secrets

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum Polishing Secrets

Well, I finally got it right. Noxon and Mothers polish were too slow and time consuming. I took someone's advice on this forum and got about 2 dozen different buffs, facer buffs, mushroom buffs and bullet felt bobs. I had a real problem applying the rouge to the buff, so I called Eastwood and they said to use a wire brush and rough up the side of the rouge bar, not the end. Then apply the buff to the side of the rouge bar. I liked the mushroom buff and tapered buff instead of the facer buff.

It worked perfectly!! I started with the black rouge, and it was a breeze. Whoever wrote that up please let me know, I want to thank you for the info on how to start the process.

The nice part is that there is no polish to wipe off, and is about twice as fast. Mothers is fine once the wheels are fully polished you and want to maintain them.

Also, I found where to get the buffs at cost, way below what Enkay and Caswell sell for. If you're interested, drop me an email
Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any before and after pics? Which wheels?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ yes, pics please
Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Here is the photo. The wheels were badly pitted from road salt because of my ignorance, especially the outer rim part. To compare it, look at the unpolished part of the top wheel lug, which I couldn't polish until I remove the wheels off the car.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Ehh, if one wouldnt let their wheels get to that point then using Mothers isnt a problem. People spend a lot of money on nice wheels, spend the time to keep em maintained. Nice post btw though..looks like you ressurected that wheel.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

I just didn't realize how much damage salt did to aluminum. Never again! I now use wheel wax, and won't drive the car in the snow. However, I did learn a helluva lot about polishing aluminum!

Quick Reply: Aluminum Polishing Secrets