Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Chrome wheels and rust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chrome wheels and rust?

I have a couple of questions about these. I have ever only had one vehicle with chrome wheels and it was my Z-71. They were heavy steel and after a couple of years even though I took really good care of them they didn't look the best with some slight pits/rust. Is that the case if I get Z-06 wheels? Heavy and might rust?
Powdercoat is good but subject to scratching because it is basically plastic.

So my thoughts was something high polished aluminum. '

Maybe they coat the new chrome wheels with something that doesn't make this a factor but just wanted to ask.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine have never rusted. Just keep wax on them. If they did get some surface rust you can remove it with steel wool. A good quality wheel should not rust, not so sure about these Ebay specials though....
Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Aluminum will not rust. Your steel wheels pitted and rusted because they were steel. I'm assuming your climate might have something to do with it too in Md. Chrome can pit even on aluminum though.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Morpheus
Aluminum will not rust. Your steel wheels pitted and rusted because they were steel. I'm assuming your climate might have something to do with it too in Md. Chrome can pit even on aluminum though.

not true - aluminum will rust just as any alloy. there are several types of rust - aluminum is a lot more prone to exfoliation rather than surface/pitting like steel is. chrome will also rust if the surface wasn't preped right before being chromed. steel is more prone to rust because it's mostly untreated.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mike3605
not true - aluminum will rust just as any alloy. there are several types of rust -
Wrong. Aluminum will corrode but it will not rust. Why do airplanes that have been sitting in water for 60 years come out rust free? Because they're made of aluminum. I've seen WW2 planes that have been submerged for that long and the only thing rusted were the steel/iron parts. The aluminum airframes and skin were not rusted.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't worry too much about the rust. My chrome wheels had a good bit of rust on them when I bought the car. Picked up a can of neverdull and went to town. Look brand new now. Just keep them clean and waxed and you will be fine.