Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Bad shimmy in front end TT2s

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad shimmy in front end TT2s

I installed my new TT2s and brand new Verdestien tires. Had a reputable shop spin balance them, and install them. Now I have a bad shimmy in the front end starting around 45 mph and continues to get worse the faster I go!
Anyone else experiance this with wheels or tires?
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Those TT2s are sometimes "out of round" one of mine is slightly. Could be the problem.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

True^^ or maybe it was a shitty balancing. I've actually had a shop mount and "balance" my wheels. When I saw them putting them back on my car I noticed that there were ZERO weights on them. I'm not an idiot so I had them take them back off and balance them. Wouldnt surprise me if they halfassed it though.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
True^^ or maybe it was a shitty balancing. I've actually had a shop mount and "balance" my wheels. When I saw them putting them back on my car I noticed that there were ZERO weights on them. I'm not an idiot so I had them take them back off and balance them. Wouldnt surprise me if they halfassed it though.
I would check in the barrel to see if the weights came off or are there at all. Everyone makes mistakes (the shop) so just double check.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Make sure the bead of the tire is seated properly on the wheel. Have some one mount the wheel and tire on a balancing machine and spin it. Observe if the tire appears to hop up or down while it spins. If there is a hop break down the bead and turn the tire on the wheel, say maybe 90 degrees, keep doing this untill there is no longer a hop. If that doesn't do the trick you may have an out of round wheel or tire. A shop with a run out guage should be able to determine if there is a problem. You may also want to find a shop with a road force balancing machine. If the wheel is non hubcentric it is also a good idea to gradually torque down the lugs with the wheel and tire off the ground.

Or more than likely the shop just doen't know how to balance a tire.
Even though it's a reputable shop, Igor the technician, (high school kid) may have been doing the work. A reputable shop doesn't mean everyone there knows what they are doing. I've taken cars to reputable shops that didn't know their *** from a hole in the ground.

Last edited by Bald54; 08-06-2008 at 07:24 PM.