Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

New drag wheels from Centerline: Will not clear brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation New drag wheels from Centerline: Will not clear brakes.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/969871-good-looking-new-drag-wheels-centerline.html

After seeing this post, I got VERY excited w/ the new 2008 Split Spoke Design.

http://www.centerlinewheels.com/whee...d=34&sw_id=679

Was looking for 15 X 4 up front and 15 X 8 in back. Through Summit Racing they are going to be priced @ around $210 per rim and possibly as light as a weld rim and look killer.

I called Centerline
(800) 345-8671

They got me to a Carlos and he is a sales man, we went back and forth about whether they will clear Stock LS1 brakes. Since Convo Pros do clear, I was hoping they be made the same way. They do not, Convo are welded and these are forged and essentially for ANY of those rims....

on the inside of the rim anything bigger then 13-3/4" will not fit, now i do NOT have my car and a tape measure in front of me. but even with signifigant grinding he stated they will not fit.

Now someone else can call and see if they can get a better answer, but at least here is some research I have found.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

With regards to Convo Pros, the only rears that cleared are the 15x7.5's or the ones that would stick out. I did work with Nicole Sheehy over there a few years to co-design a 15x9 but you still have to do a little caliper work. Centerline's phone staff is pretty lame so I pretty much don't reccomend them.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
With regards to Convo Pros, the only rears that cleared are the 15x7.5's or the ones that would stick out. I did work with Nicole Sheehy over there a few years to co-design a 15x9 but you still have to do a little caliper work. Centerline's phone staff is pretty lame so I pretty much don't reccomend them.
Yea, lame is an understatement. These rims are not avalibe until late September, and until someone gets one and tries it out. Id be very reluctant to be the test subject.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have 15x4 and15x9 convo pros and i did minimal grinding with no spacers and no grinding the front. I have grinded for pro stars a few times and this was nothing like that! It was about how much you would take off if you were sanding them down to polished them. If i would of used a spacers on rear it would of been even less grinding.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
i have 15x4 and15x9 convo pros and i did minimal grinding with no spacers and no grinding the front. I have grinded for pro stars a few times and this was nothing like that! It was about how much you would take off if you were sanding them down to polished them. If i would of used a spacers on rear it would of been even less grinding.

Yea, we had talked about the comparision and the rep stated that there is no comparision.

I am going to be painting calipers so if I gotta grind, do it now and then paint, do it all in one shot.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

Yeah the 15x9/6.5 Convo Pros are the ones we helped design, you just have to take a little off the face of the caliper nothing crazy like you for Pro Stars (if you don't run spacers).
Old 08-15-2008, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also called Centerline today.... the first guy I talked to almost ruined the sale for me. I was asking about the Fuel 15 x 9 and the asshat told me that they did not have them in stock nor would they be making them at all in a 15 x 9, even though their website showed the size as an option. I was pretty ticked off about that. So I decided to call back with the sizes I was looking for and basically sort out which ones would work for me. I got a different guy on the phone this time.... and guess what... he tells me the Fuel IS available in a 15 x 9 AND they were in stock... AND on sale! WTF!? Anyways... after I confirmed they had them in stock I called Summit with the part numbers and ordered them for $200 cheaper for the set of 4 vs ordering direct from Centerline.

I dont mind grinding to make them work... I just didnt want to have to destroy my calipers to make the Draglites work.

They should be here in a few days... along with a fresh set of MTs to go on them.