Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1999 Firebird 5.7 - alarm keeps going off when I open the door

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Firebird 5.7 - alarm keeps going off when I open the door

Hello everyone,

New to the site. Just picked up a 1999 Pontiac Firebird. Had a 98 Trans Am WS6 in the past but had to sell it to buy a 4 dr car when my wife first got pregnant. Anyways, had some spare time and came across this car for a good price and had to grab it.

It has a few issues to work out. Stereo and windows only work intermittently. Did some searching on here and easily found that it is the BCM causing the problem. Plan on undertaking that task this weekend.

My questions is, is it possible the problem with the BCM would also cause my alarm system to go off everytime I open a door? The previous owner has pulled the fuse for the horn from under the hood so I really didn't notice till tonight when I parked it in the garage and went out to grab something and the lights started flashing. I checked a few more times throughout the night and the same thing was happening. It shuts off after a few min.

I am not locking my doors in the garage or hitting the lock buttons on the remote. The previous owner had taken the fob apart so I do not even have a functioning remote at this time.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-08-2016, 01:26 AM
11 Second Club

Are you locking the doors before you get out with the button on your door panel? If so, it's arming your alarm and will turn off as soon as you put your key into the ignition. If that's the case, just manually lock the door by sliding the bar itself.

If that's not what is going on, I would definitely be getting it looked at. It sounds like you are getting ready to tear into that problem though.

Good luck man!

Edit: Just saw that you said you weren't locking your doors, is that right?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first got my Z28, the alarm would go off everytime I locked the car via the button on the door before getting out. I'd do that, shut the door, take about five steps, and it would go off. Every single time. Did some digging online and found that the shock sensor could be the cause. Unplugged it and it hasn't done it once since then. The sensor is in the spare tire/jack compartment. Can't miss it. Just unplug it and see if that changes anything. Apparently they could get water in them over a period of time and gum up the inside, making them hyper sensitive. Shutting the door rocked the car enough to set off the anti-theft alarm, in my case.

You've dealt with more gremlins than I had to so it very well may be an BCM issue. But try the easy stuff first. Good luck and let us know what fixes it.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Teching In

I just undertook the BCM repair last weekend and it has since fixed any intermittent issues. The alarm is tied to that system so there is a solid shot your issues are related.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Deeohgie69
Are you locking the doors before you get out with the button on your door panel? If so, it's arming your alarm and will turn off as soon as you put your key into the ignition. If that's the case, just manually lock the door by sliding the bar itself.

If that's not what is going on, I would definitely be getting it looked at. It sounds like you are getting ready to tear into that problem though.

Good luck man!

Edit: Just saw that you said you weren't locking your doors, is that right?
Correct, not locking doors manually and not using the keyless remote as I do not have one.

BCM is repaired so intermittent stereo and windows is fixed it seems but alarm persists.

Tried unplugging sensor in rear passenger wheel well, opened door and still going off.

When alarm is going off, red light in center of dash is solid red. Once the flashing shuts off (horn would prob be going off as well but seller had previously removed fuse under hood), the red light flashes 3 times with a slight delay after flashes, then repeats. If i open the door again after the lights stop flashing it will do it all over again.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kreke
Correct, not locking doors manually and not using the keyless remote as I do not have one.

BCM is repaired so intermittent stereo and windows is fixed it seems but alarm persists.

Tried unplugging sensor in rear passenger wheel well, opened door and still going off.

When alarm is going off, red light in center of dash is solid red. Once the flashing shuts off (horn would prob be going off as well but seller had previously removed fuse under hood), the red light flashes 3 times with a slight delay after flashes, then repeats. If i open the door again after the lights stop flashing it will do it all over again.
I have the exact same issue did u ever find a solution ? As I'm going through the same process currently

Quick Reply: 1999 Firebird 5.7 - alarm keeps going off when I open the door