12 Second Club In the 12s yet? Come inside!

New Best MPH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New Best MPH!

I got three runs in at Englishtown Sunday, and all three sucked horribly, but netted me my best trap MPH on two of them (the third I got terrible wheel hop in first and second and decided to abort the run).

Both full runs were almost exactly the same: they started with me blowing the tires off the car, short shifting to second and spinning a bit in second, causing me to hit the rev limiter, then shifting to third and fourth to finish out the runs with terrible ETs.

Both runs I trapped 116 (previous best of 112.9 before my tune and MN12 trans). One was a 12.7 and the other a 12.6. And just to elaborate on how bad these runs were and how much better I think my MPH can be, the 60' times were 2.2 and 2.1 respectively (best ever of 1.78) and the 1/8 mile numbers were in the mid-8s at 86mph on both runs.

I've never had such bad traction problems, but it was in the 40s most of the day with my first run at 11:30am or so and my next two runs after 5:30-6pm. The car easily has an 11 in it with some Mickey Thompsons and decent driving. I'm going to throw on LCAs for next year with the MTs and see how it does come spring time.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 11-13-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default great MPH

That MPH you should be in mid 11's ......my buddy ran 11.8 @ 115 don't
remember his 60 ft......great MPH man ......good luck
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSlow1
That MPH you should be in mid 11's ......my buddy ran 11.8 @ 115 don't
remember his 60 ft......great MPH man ......good luck
Yeah, I know. Some tires and decent driving will help a lot for next year. I just got everything back together in time for all of the tracks around here to close, so this was kind of an end of the year final trip. It didn't go so well, but it DID help me find out what I should look at doing over the winter for the spring.

I was going to swap a different cam in over the winter, but I really want to hit an 11 on this setup, so it looks like I'll be waiting. I'll give it a little bit of time next year before upgrading the cam.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

yhea 116?.... i mean, it is atco, but still I went a 12.04 at island dragway in northern Jersey, and went 114.7mph so you should def be lookin at a 11.75ish... Especially cuz ur best 60 was a 1.78, and mines a 1.75....
Old 11-13-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
yhea 116?.... i mean, it is atco, but still I went a 12.04 at island dragway in northern Jersey, and went 114.7mph so you should def be lookin at a 11.75ish... Especially cuz ur best 60 was a 1.78, and mines a 1.75....
No no, my best 60' EVER was a 1.78. My best 60' YESTERDAY was a 2.1 because I had NO traction in first or second and I totally bounced off the limiter in second, hence the absolutely horrendous ET. My 1/8 MPH was only 86.

I know it's an 11 second car; I just need good tires and some more seat time, which is rare on my schedule and living a couple hours from the nearest track (LVD, which sucks). Best ever before the tune and tranny was a 12.4 @ 112.

Plus I just realized you are an auto. So that helps you out ET-wise.

IMPORTANT EDIT: HAHAHA, I just realized I put Atco, but we were racing at Englishtown, whoops. We were supposed to go to Atco Saturday, but it rained, so we postponed to Englishtown on Sunday. My bad.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 11-13-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

care to share mods?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Restricted User

great mph...you should be seeing the 11's soon....what are your mods...cause I wanna compare your mods to mine to know where I should be....my mods are in my sig....
Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Haha, after those passes the other day, I'm embarassed to say, but here you go.

- Patriot LS6 heads (.....installed by previous owner and showed very little dyno gain)
- 224/228 cam
- SLP CAI and Lid w/ smooth bellow
- Underdrive Pulley
- Pacesetter LTs and ORY
- Magnaflow Catback
- 12-bolt w/4.10s
- Spec 2 Clutch
- 3.5" HEAVY *** aluminum driveshaft
- BMR Adjustable torque arm
- MN12 GTO Tranny
- Nittos
- Other various minor mods (subframes, strut tower brace, etc)

It dynoed 400rwhp and 367 rwtq a couple weeks ago. I baselined it before and after the 12-bolt/driveshaft install a few weeks before that which showed a 19rwhp and 23rwtq loss.

I also weighed it at the track Sunday: 3475 without me in it.

Like I said, easy 11s if I can hook up and drive it, but no tires and no seat time is killing me. I've noticed major traction issues since the new tranny even with the Nittos. Some MTs and LCAs next spring should help me out, plus I plan on getting to the track a lot more.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

yea a 116mph trap seams about right for 400 whp
Old 11-13-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get some stickies and go run some 11s!!

Dan
Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLPSS99
Get some stickies and go run some 11s!!

Dan
Yep, I plan on it!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Must be the new shades that you got!

Outside of being a "Z" your car is so much like mine its scary. I went to Milan on Saturday and came up with my best times: 11.91 @ 119.01, 1.76 60' on stock Goodyears. Track temps much like yours that day.

Couple things I would suggest: definitely get the LCAs WITH the relocation brackets (use the bottom hole so they point up towards the front) and get a Raptor programable shift light if you don't have one and set it for 6,600 (if you don't redline at that RPM). Also if you haven't done so yet, take out the AIR system and pump and save yourself 10 pounds off the front.

With those simple, and relatively cheap changes, I would say you should be able to get another 10th or two and 1 mph (maybe more).

Slo
Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slonomo
Must be the new shades that you got!

Outside of being a "Z" your car is so much like mine its scary. I went to Milan on Saturday and came up with my best times: 11.91 @ 119.01, 1.76 60' on stock Goodyears. Track temps much like yours that day.

Couple things I would suggest: definitely get the LCAs WITH the relocation brackets (use the bottom hole so they point up towards the front) and get a Raptor programable shift light if you don't have one and set it for 6,600 (if you don't redline at that RPM). Also if you haven't done so yet, take out the AIR system and pump and save yourself 10 pounds off the front.

With those simple, and relatively cheap changes, I would say you should be able to get another 10th or two and 1 mph (maybe more).

Slo
Haha, those shades are installed and kick ***!

Yeah, I definitely need the LCAs and I'll be getting the brackets with them (all for Christmas, hopefully). I have the Raptor shift light, but I just installed it the other day and had it set too high, so I hit the limiter anyways in second with it spinning. I need some seat time to figure out the best RPM to set it to, but when you're spinning, it doesn't help.

It's funny you mention the AIR removal because I was just talking to someone about that. Did you have any issues with codes when you removed yours? I heard you can, but they can just be programmed out (although I don't have a tuner to do it myself). I'll probably do that in the next couple weeks when I get some time.

As far as my trap goes, I should definitely have been trapping closer to 118-119 the other day. My brother only had one run with his 02 Z28 and he trapped a 118.9 doing 93 in the 1/8, and I was only hitting 86 in the 1/8 because of the traction and rev limiter issues. When we run from a roll now, it's about as dead even as you can get, so we should be trapping about the same if I can drive decently at the track.

He and I may be heading down to Atco on the 24th, so if we do, I'll have to come up with a game plan for traction so I don't wheel hop or spin like I did the other day. It's all about seat time at this point.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, 86 mph in the 1/8 is usually good for ~110 in the 1/4. You'll be alot faster once you get your other troubles worked out.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Haha, those shades are installed and kick ***!

Yeah, I definitely need the LCAs and I'll be getting the brackets with them (all for Christmas, hopefully). I have the Raptor shift light, but I just installed it the other day and had it set too high, so I hit the limiter anyways in second with it spinning. I need some seat time to figure out the best RPM to set it to, but when you're spinning, it doesn't help.

It's funny you mention the AIR removal because I was just talking to someone about that. Did you have any issues with codes when you removed yours? I heard you can, but they can just be programmed out (although I don't have a tuner to do it myself). I'll probably do that in the next couple weeks when I get some time.

As far as my trap goes, I should definitely have been trapping closer to 118-119 the other day. My brother only had one run with his 02 Z28 and he trapped a 118.9 doing 93 in the 1/8, and I was only hitting 86 in the 1/8 because of the traction and rev limiter issues. When we run from a roll now, it's about as dead even as you can get, so we should be trapping about the same if I can drive decently at the track.

He and I may be heading down to Atco on the 24th, so if we do, I'll have to come up with a game plan for traction so I don't wheel hop or spin like I did the other day. It's all about seat time at this point.

Like you, I already had my head and cam installed with a custom tune. Earlier this year, I took off all the hoses, pump (on the driver's side below the headlight and above the fog - easy to do) and I also ported my own tb (no need to epoxy - just bell-mouth it - do a search for me under parts for sale for a pic) and de-screened the MAF. Didn't throw any codes. These are all things you could do in a weekend that I think would yield a tangible benefit. Plus, if you are like me, they don't show and therefore don't detract from the appearance of the car. I also would think you probably had a custom dyno tune with your head / cam so many of these codes may already be suppressed. In any event, let's see your last times of the season. By the way, the car I had before this one was a 1999 Pewter Z, M6, t-tops, but I never modded it. I only got this one because I always wanted an SS and when they announced the end of the Camaro in 2001, it was my last chance for a new one (at least till 2009!).
Old 11-15-2007, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

I don't feel so bad anymore. haha.

Nice trap speed dude.

Quick Reply: New Best MPH!