Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

5th gen vs 4th gen angst...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5th gen vs 4th gen angst...

One of my least favorite aspects of these forums is when guys act like a bunch of know it all douchebags, desperately trying to prove something to each other. This section seems to want to compete with the street racing/kill story section for the most **** talking. Guys are splitting hairs about the 1/4 mile performance, the weight, styling, etc. It is what it is. Internet racing isn't any better than magazine racing, and styling is a matter of opinion.

One point that seems to be lost on many of you, is that the 5th gens are really apples to oranges compared to prevoius F bodies. Its really a different type of car.

First off, the last 4th gens are 7-11 year old cars... and thats just the beginning. The design of the car (4th gen) dates to 1993, but even then, it wasn't exactly a "modern" car. The overall design and feel goes right back to 1970!! To many F body fans, thats the appeal!!! To others, its what held the car back, and why it was never a hit with the "Motor Trend" crowd.

Despite the nod to 1st gen styling, the 5th gen camaro is all 2010. Big car, big rims, "chunky styling". (For those of you who haven't seen them in person, they are not nearly as bad as the new Challengers, which are way too big. They would look great if Dodge could section a few inches out of the middle. Camaro looks better in person than in pictures, the new Challenger is the opposite. Just my opinion)

The new Camaro is competing with other new cars, not 4th gen F bodies. Yes you can compare them, but its just your opinion, nothing more. You can talk all day about "too heavy", "not fast enough" or "you crappy 4th gen guys are just jealous". To me your just pissing in the wind.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of the 5th gens, but they have grown on me slightly. Personally, I wish they built new performance cars more like sportbikes or purpose built race cars, all business, with just enough comfort. Imagine what cars today would be like if the manufacturers didn't have to worry about all the consumer reports bullshit with 10 ******' airbags and "oohh, it parallel parks itself" and just built fast, reliable cars.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree with you.

the new camaro competes with higher class touring cars. i.e. G35s, etc... moreso than mustangs.

i love my 4th gen, i also love the new 5th gen and would very much want to drive one to see whether or not it would belong in my garage or not.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Word!

Everytime there is a new generation its most likely pretty much a completely different car. Times and things, change!

I like to look at 4th gens as the new fox bodies
Old 06-06-2009, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
i agree with you.

the new camaro competes with higher class touring cars. i.e. G35s, etc... moreso than mustangs.
im sorry im going to have to disagree. the 4th gens are already better then those. the new camaro is aimed more towards the gt500, the m3, and the people who cant afford a c6.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Default New Camaro

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
i agree with you.

i love my 4th gen, i also love the new 5th gen and would very much want to drive one to see whether or not it would belong in my garage or not.
The G35s and for the other guy, M3s are in a totally different class! I'd say that this new Camaro could go up against the GT500 and the New Challenger.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

This funny. It is just like the LS1 vs LT1 thing when ls1's were new. You see the same thing with Corvettes c6 vs c5 vs c4.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

I like when a car has to grow on you, It kinda of means that it is different enough to be just outside your comfort zone. I see the Camaro everyday at my dealership. It grows on me everyday too. For these days its still a relatively small car. The Challenger I liked right away and ended up not liking it at all after driving the heavy *** car. Driving like a 300C doesnt impress me, but the Camaro...... its very impressive the road.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Build #1
I like when a car has to grow on you, It kinda of means that it is different enough to be just outside your comfort zone. I see the Camaro everyday at my dealership. It grows on me everyday too. For these days its still a relatively small car. The Challenger I liked right away and ended up not liking it at all after driving the heavy *** car. Driving like a 300C doesnt impress me, but the Camaro...... its very impressive the road.
Ya i stopped into a couple local dealerships last week and checked out the Camaro and the Challenger srt8. Both nice. I like the Camaro, but Im goin C6 when I get out of college
Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Whats the average age of a 4th gen owner? From what I have seen, it's a lot younger now then it was 7-10 years ago when they were still making 4th gens, thats just natural. Point is a lot of the 4th gen guys I knew from back then have jumped ship and moved on to other cars, a lot have Vettes now. A good bit of those who still have them now and have had them since new or near it will start to move over to 5th gens/Vettes or what ever else due to what ever circumstance. So just like fox bodies what'll you have is either your die hard 4th gen guys, guys building drag cars or a bunch of kids who wanted some thing fast/cheap. Unfortuantley your fast/cheap guys now make up a good bit of the modern internet message board crowd and thats where the 5th gen hating comes from. It's new and their cars aren't so they attack it on what ever ground then can because for the price difference between the 4th and 5th gen they can make their $5K 99 Z28 a 10 second car. Kinda like the fox body mentality when the LS1 4th gen cars were new. But when ever theycan afford it they'll but a 5th gen or Vette. I have seen it time again, 3rd gen Vs Lt1, Lt1 Vs LS1, history is repeating

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 06-07-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Bizzzatch you make a very good point. I would say the age group of most of the 4th gen owners is now 16-26. Most people that are older than that age group are out of school or have been working long enough to be able to afford a more expensive car. Just like when the 4th gens were new younger people couldn't afford them. I think that as the aftermarket gets their hands on the new 5th gens they will continue to go faster and faster and people will begin to forget about the weight and focus on the power.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Launching!

The only thing that I don't really understand is why people that have so many complaints about the 5th gen come to the 2010 Camaro forum? I don't spend my time on Mustang forums, because I don't like the car. I loved our 4th gen Camaro but I don't really want to start with such an old car now. I can understand the love for the 4th gen but why come on here and tell people what a terrible job GM did, its too expensive, it weighs too much, etc? If you don't like the 5th gen and don't want to consider it, then why are you here?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its just sad to see 4th gens sell for $3,500 and under after a teen gets a hold of one and turns it to ****. But that is something we all have done with these cars depending on your generation. I remember when 3rd gens were 5 grand for a basic half decent iroc with t tops and now ls1 z28s are the same
Old 06-07-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quik Sand
Ya i stopped into a couple local dealerships last week and checked out the Camaro and the Challenger srt8. Both nice. I like the Camaro, but Im goin C6 when I get out of college
I'm really into c6Zs but next after say 1.5 years from now when I graduate, I plan to keep my '02SS till the wheels fall off and they cannot be put back on lol. I want to build the hell out of it and have it to the point that it'll be hard to find any competition (even bikes).

I figure when something crazy happens like it catches fire or someone totals it for me is when I'll be in the market for another bad car. Probably be a superwhatever badass vette(not a base for sure) is out at the time. I'll just repeat my process and continue.

as of right now if something happened to my car I'd probably be looking for a c5Z.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
I'm really into c6Zs but next after say 1.5 years from now when I graduate, I plan to keep my '02SS till the wheels fall off and they cannot be put back on lol. I want to build the hell out of it and have it to the point that it'll be hard to find any competition (even bikes).

I figure when something crazy happens like it catches fire or someone totals it for me is when I'll be in the market for another bad car. Probably be a superwhatever badass vette(not a base for sure) is out at the time. I'll just repeat my process and continue.

as of right now if something happened to my car I'd probably be looking for a c5Z.
Nice choice

Ya the C6 is a graduation present....so Ill have both cars still. For awhile I was thinking a c5z or c6....but decided c6. Nice SS
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quik Sand
Nice choice

Ya the C6 is a graduation present....so Ill have both cars still. For awhile I was thinking a c5z or c6....but decided c6. Nice SS
I hear ya and thanks! I just always wanted so many cars and decided it'd be cheaper and more efficient of me to have only one toy at a time carwise. If I was paying insurance on all 2000 cars I want and am only driving one at a time I could be using that money somewhere else lol. Plus if I had one car I liked way more than the rest I'd probably only drive it.

Congrats on the gift!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Whats the average age of a 4th gen owner? From what I have seen, it's a lot younger now then it was 7-10 years ago when they were still making 4th gens, thats just natural. Point is a lot of the 4th gen guys I knew from back then have jumped ship and moved on to other cars, a lot have Vettes now. A good bit of those who still have them now and have had them since new or near it will start to move over to 5th gens/Vettes or what ever else due to what ever circumstance. So just like fox bodies what'll you have is either your die hard 4th gen guys, guys building drag cars or a bunch of kids who wanted some thing fast/cheap. Unfortuantley your fast/cheap guys now make up a good bit of the modern internet message board crowd and thats where the 5th gen hating comes from. It's new and their cars aren't so they attack it on what ever ground then can because for the price difference between the 4th and 5th gen they can make their $5K 99 Z28 a 10 second car. Kinda like the fox body mentality when the LS1 4th gen cars were new. But when ever theycan afford it they'll but a 5th gen or Vette. I have seen it time again, 3rd gen Vs Lt1, Lt1 Vs LS1, history is repeating
I think that's very much nail on head.

On the Corvette forums the C4's bash the C5's and C5's bash the C6's. Mustang forums are terrible at it. All Fox bodies hate the sn95 and s197 and so on.

But your take on age and money are about bang on IMO.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
the new camaro is aimed more towards the gt500, the m3, and the people who cant afford a c6.
The Camaro 2SS has been going for about 38K. A 09 Corvette C6 goes for about 43K. Odds are if someone can't afford the C6 they can't afford the Camaro 2SS either.

The V6 Camaros are going for around 28K so that might a better money saver for someone who can not afford a C6. Although settling for a V6 is something a lot of enthusiasts wouldn't consider.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Just so you know where I am coming from, I'm pushing 30 and have been driving 4th gens since I was 16. Now...

I guess I'm one the hard core 4th gen guys. I don't like the 5th gen for a wide variety of common reasons (weight, appearance, suspension, wheel and tire package) - but that has been discussed ad naseum. Since my car has a cammed LS3 and a good corner carving suspension setup, the new car would have a high bar to clear to replace my old one at any rate.

I really wanted to like the 5th gen - really. It just seems like it appeals more to the boulevard cruiser crowd than the raw performance crowd like the 4th gen did. I think the 4th gen is going to be the Fox Body Mustang of the 21st century.

Having said that, I have no 5th gen angst. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them on the road, and I hope they pull GM out of bankruptcy.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I definitely agree on history repeating itself. Same thing happened with the L98 vs. LT1 and then LT1 vs. LS1. I have a hunch most of the 5th gen bashing is coming from guys who have a 4th gen and can't afford the new 5th gen. They just want to feel better about missing out on the new Camaro and try to accomplish this by convincing themselves that it's not really a better car. Hey, I can't afford one either, so I'm not ******* anyone for their lack of funds. While the 5th gen may not be as straight line performance oriented, I think it's pretty clear that it's a far superior overall package.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Finally! A 5th Gen Post that makes sense

Quick Reply: 5th gen vs 4th gen angst...