LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT4 Intakes

I was at the dealer today and purchased some LT4 heads. While I was there I had them check on the LT4 intakes for me. They are listed as discontinued. I had them find me one which I purchased for my inventory. If you are even thinking about buying one you better act fast. There are very few left in the system.

Happy Hunting!!

Daren
Old 12-28-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ake&category0=

how much u pay for the heads?
Old 12-28-2005, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

Thats one reason I sold my AFR 210s.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
I paid $1,425.00 for the pair. Which is about as good as any deal once you figure the freight.
I wonder how long it will be before GM kills the heads too? Better start stocking up!

Daren
Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I paid $1,425.00 for the pair. Which is about as good as any deal once you figure the freight.
I wonder how long it will be before GM kills the heads too? Better start stocking up!

Daren

stocking up for what? they are not that great.....
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bowtieforpower
stocking up for what? they are not that great.....
From your personnal experience or something that you read on the internet?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Well whats the point in paying for 1,400 for stock heads when you could get an aftermarket set or ported LT1 heads that would out flow the heck out of those?

It makes very little sense economically and performance wise. I think that was probably bowtieforpower's point.

- LT14Formula
Old 12-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Launching!

I found my LT4 intake on speed and dickee or SPDC
Old 12-28-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT14Formula
Well whats the point in paying for 1,400 for stock heads when you could get an aftermarket set or ported LT1 heads that would out flow the heck out of those?

It makes very little sense economically and performance wise. I think that was probably bowtieforpower's point.

- LT14Formula
To begin with, I did not start this post so that it would be a factory versus aftermarket battle. I thought that there might be a couple of people out there that would be interested to know that the supply was running out.

I am a class racer, which means that I have to run factory castings. I have raced almost every LTX combination from the L99 to the LT4.

Note that you can't race a flow bench or a dyno. If you don't match your entire combination you are throwing money at the wind. Sometimes it takes years to figure out all of the details. Really, you never figure it all out. A good valve job will cost more than most of you guys are spending on porting. A good job of porting will cost a bunch more than most of you are spending now.

Daren
Old 12-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Actually Loyd Elliott is doing a set of Trick Flow Bare castings for me, and he's actually doing me pretty good on the money part.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:25 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
To begin with, I did not start this post so that it would be a factory versus aftermarket battle. I thought that there might be a couple of people out there that would be interested to know that the supply was running out.

I am a class racer, which means that I have to run factory castings. I have raced almost every LTX combination from the L99 to the LT4.

Note that you can't race a flow bench or a dyno. If you don't match your entire combination you are throwing money at the wind. Sometimes it takes years to figure out all of the details. Really, you never figure it all out. A good valve job will cost more than most of you guys are spending on porting. A good job of porting will cost a bunch more than most of you are spending now.

Daren
Darren, I agree. We don't race flow benches anyway. Wouldn't it be great if all you needed were big flow numbers? So far, I have not had an aftermarket headed LTX vehicle on my dyno make more power than cars with correctly ported GM castings. I know a couple of top-of-the-line cylinder head shops that will tell you the same thing. When you have to run more timing with a certain aftermarket head, than with factory castings, seems to me something is wrong. Especially if they make no more power, often less. I don't know where this "LT4 intake is bad" stuff comes from either, probably where you said. I have seen that here before.

Take care, Ed
Old 12-30-2005, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

LT4 intake isn't bad it just isn't all that different from the LT1 intake and therefore isn't the huge improvement people want to believe it is.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 AM
9-Second Club

I own both, and the LT4 certainly has larger runners. If you have an engine that needs the air, the LT4 intake is certainly worth something. Bolting it on LT1 heads I would expect to be worth nothing. People who try to do their own port matching are likely screw up wet flow by not knowing what to do at the runner roof, near the injector. If you don't know what you are doing, you can certainly cause the manifold (any manifold) to not make good
power. "Gasket matching" is a joke.

If you have a low RPM A4 350" car you, don't want the LT4 heads & intake anyway. Well ported LT1 heads would be quicker.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Which LT1 intake are you comparing too? I have a 95 and the runners were larger than the one from my 96. Wish I had taken a picture side by side but right now one is on the car the other not here. The smaller port 96 one actually looked more like the head port shape and size. I was looking at I think it was NHRA liturature and it listed like 4-5 casting numbers for LT1 intakes one of those obviously being the early ones with different fuel rail crossover and one might have been the LT4 intake which still left at least two different LT1 ones.

The biggest benifit the LT4 intake has is more material on top of the port which can be used by a skilled porter to allow them to work better with some heads, an LT1 intake would require welding to add material $$$$$. Can be a good piece if use intelligently but is bad if you blindly use it on the wrong combo, that can go for any part though.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:36 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Which LT1 intake are you comparing too? I have a 95 and the runners were larger than the one from my 96. Wish I had taken a picture side by side but right now one is on the car the other not here. The smaller port 96 one actually looked more like the head port shape and size. I was looking at I think it was NHRA liturature and it listed like 4-5 casting numbers for LT1 intakes one of those obviously being the early ones with different fuel rail crossover and one might have been the LT4 intake which still left at least two different LT1 ones.

The biggest benifit the LT4 intake has is more material on top of the port which can be used by a skilled porter to allow them to work better with some heads, an LT1 intake would require welding to add material $$$$$. Can be a good piece if use intelligently but is bad if you blindly use it on the wrong combo, that can go for any part though.

The only LT1 intake casting I have to compare to was the original off my TA, which is a '96. Seems like my LT4 intake used the same fuel rail cross-over as my original? Never did assemble it that way, and that was about three years ago, and I'm old. I don't use that cross-over, since I cut the top off the manifold to get access to the insides. Made a new top from aluminium plate that eliminated the valley for the cross-over tube. Just have a -6 braided hose connecting the fuel rails now. Most of these guys have realitively small hyrdaulic cams & 350"/355" engines that need to be shifted at 6500 or so, which will run quicker with well ported LT1 heads. The LT4s make good peak numbers on the dyno, but on a smallish engine & A4 trans they tend to be lazy on the track compared to a good set of ported LT1s.
Ask me how I know.<G>
Old 01-01-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

I have all of the castings here. It might be interresting to run them back to back on a dyno?

Happy New Year,

Daren
Old 01-01-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The disappearing LT4 intake trick might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Seems that, although extremely slowly, the aftermarket is finally coming back around to making more LT1 oriented performance parts again. I've seen MANY more questions lately about "who makes a better LT1 intake?", so the demand is definitely there. With GM bowing out and leaving the LT4 gap wide open, this might be the incentive that the aftermarket needs to finally get busy making an LTx style "upgraded" intake for people who are looking for "LT4 performance."
Old 01-02-2006, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

People ask about a better LT1 intake because that is a good upgrade to make on gen1s and LSX motors so they ASSume there has to be one for the LT1. It is ignorance that fuels the "demand". Lingenfelter and Edelbrock both tried and failed to deliver an intake that covered as wide a range of applications fitment and performance wise as the LT1 intake does. Lingenfelter has even been quoted as saying the LT1 intake works "much better than it should" commenting on how the ultra short runners "should" impact torque much more than they do. Not that the LT1 intake is perfect it is just a very good jack of all trades and not even worth considering working on till somewhere north of 400rwhp, because any "upgrade" is going to cost probably at least $800.

They went pack to tuned runner on the LSX motors to jack peak numbers for advertizing purposes, OEMs have a lot of goals that are differnt than ours, just because they went back to tuned intakes doesn't mean we have to find a way to fit them on the LT1.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am actually with 96 and Ed. Untill you go big cubes and high HP the stock unit with a little porting is fine. We seemed to be stuck in the 400ish area on Jimbob's 6.6L car So I desgned a very modifeid Intake. It is built off a stock casting for ease to us. I have all the different castings here btw.

What we DID gain much to our suprise was drivability. This made no sense as we kept the stock runner length. We were worried it was going to be lazy on the bottom end. No such problem. Snappy as hell! For a car with 401 Cubes and 237/245 cam this was a suprise.

With the other intakes we used with welded and ported runners the car had a bad "cam Surge". It was like some one was shutting the spark off and back on real fast. Now this car drives like a kitten until you unleash it On the dyno we got 448/424 RW SAE. Not stellar numbers but a good 30 more then we ever had before even with bigger heads on this car.

The Down side is it costs alot of money. We have not done a final cost yet but I am fairly certain they are going to cost more then most want to pay for the power gains

TPIs sold one years ago. They still own the rights to the casting and can have more made. Maybe we should talk to them
Old 01-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Launching!

I'm over 400 at the tire on both my cars and I'd pay $800 right now with a big smile on my face. I have LT1 and 4 intakes, both ported and one welded up behind the injectors. I know of a few out there like ED's that make great power, but that isn't the norm by a long shot.

Quick Reply: LT4 Intakes