Sponsored by:

PCMAmerica harness kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default PCMAmerica harness kit

PCM America

Has anyone heard of success with a kit such as this?

It converts OEM harnesses to stand alone versions.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:50 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I haven`t heard of anyone using a kit like that. It looks like it is just there to supply power to the harness, not to help with gauge hookup. It is pretty simple to hook up relays to provide power, ground, fans and fuel pump. Check out the FAQsticky (post 13 has lots of wiring info), there should be a write up on what to connect where and how to wire the relays to do that.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The size of the wiring going to the relays seems a little suspect to me. Fans can pull 30 to 40 amps depending on the fan. You should run at least 10 gauge to each if not 8 gauge. I really can't tell by the pictures but that wiring doesn't even look like 10 gauge. I don't know anything about the vendor or their product so I am not trying to bash them just trying to bring up a safety point.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What little dealings I have with that company tells me they don't know much about what they are doing. Most of there programming is stuff they stole from other people, and most of there wiring is cheap hack jobs.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about this one:

(last one at bottom)

scanmyride.com
Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

I'd be hesitant to use anyone that doesn't provide contact information. Those photos look to be lifted off other's websites.
Use one of the tried and true builders. There is a reason why they cost a little more.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

It is basic and gets you running. I have this harness in my car and it works great. It plugs right into the three big connectors for power and other functions. I then placed in under the passenger seat since I had no room in my Mustang. I ran the power and ground directly to the battery in the trunk. This does not get into the other two small connectors, which is where your fuel gauge, AC and other miscellaneous items are. For the money, this is the best bet.

Oh, to contact them, go to the main page
Attached Thumbnails PCMAmerica harness kit-dsc00475a.jpg   PCMAmerica harness kit-dsc00549a.jpg  
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not buy from scanmyride.com

I had purchased a harness from him though ebay...never came after 5 weeks. 8 other people had the same issue, and his ebay account was shut down. Got my money back through paypal luckily...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

I noticed thattop photo on scanmyride is from another website. I agree about not buying from someone who can't even put up pictures of there own products.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

please do not post links to non-advertising vendors. We have a few very helpful vendors here that sell top-quality harnesses. Support the shops that keep this site around
Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Sorry, I thought they were a vendor. Guess not.

Does anybody know a vendor that makes something similar?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 AM

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I don`t think any of the vendors make anything similar. IMHO none of those adapter boxes are really worth buying. You still have to connect up all the gauges, it is 95% of the work as just reworking your own harness. All those boxes really do is supply grounds and power to the computer. If you have a truck wiring harness it seems like it would be just as easy to use the truck underhood fuse box as it does exactly the same thing. If you have a f-body wiring harness and want to run something like that just check out post 13 of the FAQ sticky. I have directions posted for the 98-02 f-bodies and they basically use that same setup. I used a 96 camaro v6 relay/fuse box because it had 8 relays and 12 fuses which was enough to wire that up, it serves the same purpose as that adapter box, but I paid $10 for it at the junkyard. The directions for hookup that I posted are easy to follow, they include the connector # pin position, fuse size, and how to hook up all the terminals on the relays. I know where people are coming from when they cannot afford to have someone else re-work their harness, but if you just want the car to run and don`t mind abandoning the extra wires in the harness it is not that difficult to re-work.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info G-Body. I think the main reason I liked that adapter box was because it had all of the fues and relays in a central location, wasn't too big, it came prewired, and it was a lot cheaper than a total rework of the harness. I can handle most of the mechanical aspects of automotive work, but wiring is not something I look forward to; mostly because I don't have much experiene at it. The wiring diagrams you provided are going to be a great resource to me as I try to do it myself. I'll take a look at the V6 Camaro fuse box.

Do most of the "harness rework" products that vendors on this site sell (Wait4Me, Speartech, etc.) come with the fuse box/relay center or just a rework of the harness to take out uneeded wiring.? I think I remember Wait4Me telling me once that they do not include it because you should just use the fuse box that came with the car.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jones'n
What little dealings I have with that company tells me they don't know much about what they are doing. Most of there programming is stuff they stole from other people, and most of there wiring is cheap hack jobs.

That's a pretty hefty claim to make, if you've only had "little dealings" with someone...can you provide any evidence of this? How do you "know" that their programming is stolen? Did you purchase a harness and get back something that did not live up to the advertisment?

Sorry to pick this out of the bunch but I'm always skeptical of claims made without anything to back it up.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:21 PM

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I also liked the idea of a separate fuse/relay center because that way I didn`t have to worry about overloading any of my cars original electrical system, and I was able to have a bunch of the wiring done before I ever pulled the car apart.

There are many other cars that have fuse/relay boxes that will work, I chose the 96 camaro v6 box because it was easily available to me, had standard size ATO fuses and was rectangular and easy to mount.

Heres a pic of the fuse box, its just to the right of the PCM.
[IMG][/IMG]

You can either buy new terminals for all the wires from GM or I think some aftermarket places have them. If you have more time than money like me you can re-use the old ones by opening them up and soldering the new wires in.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
That's a pretty hefty claim to make, if you've only had "little dealings" with someone...can you provide any evidence of this? How do you "know" that their programming is stolen? Did you purchase a harness and get back something that did not live up to the advertisment?

Sorry to pick this out of the bunch but I'm always skeptical of claims made without anything to back it up.
Call the guys at Fastchip. Talk to john, he can tell you all about it.

I have a shop in the Tampa FL area and we do plenty of custom work. I have tried various wiring vendors for one reason or another, and had several people bring me stuff they bought to install. I have seen there stuff and am not impressed considering what I have seen from other companies.

Quick Reply: PCMAmerica harness kit