Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Mechanical Over-Rev - How does it cause damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanO
Does your engine spin backwards when going in reverse as well?
Yes, it is a direct drive system. No gears, clutches or flywheels, just a ~3ft driveshaft between the engine and the rear end!!!!

Thats why they have to be on the brakes in a flip.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i over revved my ls1 once and i ended up bending 4 push rods -- almost had a seven look to them-- it was that slick shift from 3rd to 2nd sneaky basterd.....
Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Teching In

I just stumbled across this thread. Ironically, I have a pretty bad over-rev this weekend at Road Atlanta in my '99 C5 LS1 Corvette.
I downshifted into 3rd way to early coming down the hill into 10A and over revved the engine to about 8K.
It immediately went into some kind of limp mode almost like the traction control kicked in, but it was not on. I had to limp it off the track and thought I had blown it up. Within about 90 seconds though, it seemed to come back to life and I was able to go back out the next session and run the fastest lap of the weekend at 1:34.44.

I heard someone say that the car has 2 limiters. The first "soft" limiter is set at 6,200rpm and the "hard" limiter is somewhere much higher for cases like what I did. Any ideas on what may have happened?

Here's the video. Watch the tach and listen to the tone of the engine change when it hits about 8,000. I tried to get back in the gas after turn in, but there was no power whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2hgX...layer_embedded
Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I heard someone say that the car has 2 limiters. The first "soft" limiter is set at 6,200rpm and the "hard" limiter is somewhere much higher for cases like what I did. Any ideas on what may have happened?
The PCM won't prevent the car from driving the engine up over any of the rev limiters.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
The PCM won't prevent the car from driving the engine up over any of the rev limiters.
Joe, I have come across this same thing with a mechanical over rev. It's like the pcm hits a fail mode & doesnt want to run. Give it a minute & it will go again as if nothing happened. I was logging when this happened but never looked to see if a DTC had set unfortunately.
At the time I put it down to a mechanical, not pcm related fault.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, I see what you're both saying, what the PCM does when it sees the RPM go above 8000... interesting.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a video of my car with what I think was a mechanical overrev. I was shifing into 4th and hit 2nd. Nothing was wrong as I pushed in the clutch fast. What kind of damage could this have caused (or possibly did cause that I dont know about).

Start watching video at 4:14, the race is at the end. It is the black LT1 Trans Am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDjCmCPHWDg
Old 07-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Bump for a Damage estimate/report on the miss shift .
Old 07-30-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
Here is a video of my car with what I think was a mechanical overrev. I was shifing into 4th and hit 2nd. Nothing was wrong as I pushed in the clutch fast. What kind of damage could this have caused (or possibly did cause that I dont know about).

Start watching video at 4:14, the race is at the end. It is the black LT1 Trans Am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDjCmCPHWDg
I did the same once except I was heading into an off ramp north of 100mph, at that speed engine damage would of been the least of my problems but I clutched it as soon as I heard how fast he rpms were jumping, even still by the time I looked down it was around 7k rpm. surprisingly when I swapped heads 2 years ago there wasn't a single nick on the pistons of valves tho. def got lucky! I remember reading about another member who mis-shifted like I did at those speeds and engine damage was the least of his problems as well since he spun around and totaled it hitting a guard rail

Quick Reply: Mechanical Over-Rev - How does it cause damage?