Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Am asking for "advanced knowledge" based replies, engine bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Am asking for "advanced knowledge" based replies, engine bearings

Posted here to get logical/advanced knowledge type of replies. That is why I am asking here & not in the internal engine section.

Speed Pro Competion or King race main & rod bearings, which to choose?

Speed Pro Competition bearings feature 3/4 oiling grooves & claim increased resistance to heat & temporary oil starvation. I am a$$uming that the Speed Pro bearings do not have as thick of an embedability layer as the King race bearings because King points it out & there is nothing stated in the Speed Pro information found. King race bearings feature a thicker embedability layer (0.012"-0.015" compared to 0.0002" approx. standard) w/ a 1/2 oiling groove.

Am using engine for street & 1/2 dozen or so seasonal open track days on road courses. Any road course driving is high RPM, high g force driving. So, heat & possible temporary oil starvation are possible. Although, measures are taken to eliminate high temps & temporary oil starvation.

Am thinking of going w/ the King bearings due to the high embedability of the bearings. Every engine I've torn down has had some sort of embedded material in a bearing &/or a scratched crank due to contaminents. However, can't get away from liking the improved oiling created by a 3/4 groove bearing. So, here I am asking for experience &/or advanced replies. Thank-you