Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electrical question

I am parting out an 98 T/A. This is my first experience with LS1 cars so I really have no clue. A friend of mine had asked me if I pulled the trans out of the car would the motor still run normally. He thought it may not run the way it is supposed to or that it would go into "limp mode" since some of the harness would not be hooked up causing a break in the signal to the computer. Does anybody know the answer to this question? will the car still run okay If I pull the trans out before the motor? Thanks in advance for any feedback.....
Old 05-07-2011, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dpmalibu
I am parting out an 98 T/A. This is my first experience with LS1 cars so I really have no clue. A friend of mine had asked me if I pulled the trans out of the car would the motor still run normally. He thought it may not run the way it is supposed to or that it would go into "limp mode" since some of the harness would not be hooked up causing a break in the signal to the computer. Does anybody know the answer to this question? will the car still run okay If I pull the trans out before the motor? Thanks in advance for any feedback.....
There are several switches in the trans that the PCM looks at for information. It will set codes, but you should be able to start the engine and it should idle. I've done this in extreme cases to isolate noises and vibrations on RWD customer cars.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Ok Thanks.

Quick Reply: Electrical question