Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

pollution test required

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pollution test required

I'm building an LS engine for my 2012 S197 Mustang. It's a street driver. Here in Illinois we have a pollution test that looks for trouble codes both hard and soft indicating some issue that can cause poor pollution control. It's a pass or fail deal. The OBD plug is universal and the test is with the engine running. I will use the GM E38 ECM for the 388" engine. My plan is to use the LS7 GM cam that is pretty civil. Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to impersonate the FORD ECM or use both, in order to pass this test? I'd hate to have to kill this project.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX user
I'm building an LS engine for my 2012 S197 Mustang. It's a street driver. Here in Illinois we have a pollution test that looks for trouble codes both hard and soft indicating some issue that can cause poor pollution control. It's a pass or fail deal. The OBD plug is universal and the test is with the engine running. I will use the GM E38 ECM for the 388" engine. My plan is to use the LS7 GM cam that is pretty civil. Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to impersonate the FORD ECM or use both, in order to pass this test? I'd hate to have to kill this project.
That's fairly easy. Put the Ford VIN in the GM PCM. I do it all the time. What would seem more difficult to me is, getting the GM PCM to "get along" with the rest of the car. I'm not sure of how the PCM in the Fords communicate with the rest of the car. BCM, ABS, gauges (IPC) etc.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that info. I had no idea that you could input the vin like that. I do want to keep the car compliant if I can. I'm not trying to subvert the pollution equipment. The test is rather quick and I think it's just looking to make sure there are no stored codes and the identity of the car. I doubt it's reading back real exhaust readings through a serial port! I'm going to work in this direction. Thanks again. Richard

Quick Reply: pollution test required