Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Differences in 5.3L engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in 5.3L engines?

I drive a 2005 Silverado with a 5.3L Vortec engine. As I am reading on here and other places, I'm seeing the talk of being able to punch out these 5.3L blocks to 383 cubes and 396 (questionable for reliability).

My 5.3L is the flex fuel model, which I'm pretty positive that it doesn't matter what fuel it takes, that engine size is engine size. I do know the injectors are different however.

I guess some of my questions are -

1 - which setup is more budget friendly, the 5.3L punched to 383 or a 6.0L punched to a 383?

2 - Are the 5.3L Vortec's the same in the Silverado's as they are in the F-Body's, I know the computer tuning is different, but the core hardware itself "should" I would think be the same.

3 - Is this even the right place to ask this? Sorry if it is not.

4 - Yes / no, the 6.0L engine will bolt up directly to the 5.3L's transmission (I believe with changing the flex plate is all I have to do).

5 - Is there a place that I can go to find a parts list? Stock parts (heads, cranks, etc) are preferred over having to buy fancy kits since this is not for racing.

I'm not looking for boost, spray, or anything but solid N/A cubes for towing, hauling, a little mudding, and a lot of highway driving. (or is that a little highway driving and a lot of mudding... )

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

- Josh
Old 06-13-2013, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

A stock 6.0 should do exactly what you are describing with no problem. Plus, you can't "punch" out a 6.0 or 5.3 to get 383ci. For the 5.3 You'd need to bore the block with bigger pistons, probably ls1's, and buy a stroker kit. Stroker kits are NOT cheap. With a 6.0 block just a stroker kit would do it.

And no f-body ever came with a 5.3. LS1's are 5.7 and an aluminum block, just a bigger bore and different heads.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree ^ I'd just swap to a 6.0 and put a decent head on it(243's or 823's) and a good cam. Will sound amazing and run dang good on pump gas. Keep truck intake and all.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt117
A stock 6.0 should do exactly what you are describing with no problem. Plus, you can't "punch" out a 6.0 or 5.3 to get 383ci. For the 5.3 You'd need to bore the block with bigger pistons, probably ls1's, and buy a stroker kit. Stroker kits are NOT cheap. With a 6.0 block just a stroker kit would do it.

And no f-body ever came with a 5.3. LS1's are 5.7 and an aluminum block, just a bigger bore and different heads.

Bullitt, When I said punch it out, I'm sorry. I know you need to change the crank (or in some cases, even modify the crank itself), but I believe you also need to punch out the block. I know that I had to change the crank out in a Quad 4 and punch the block out to get 2.6L displacement back in the day.

What is your definition of cheap and what does it entail?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Stroker kits run $2k+ new. You could get a good stroker kit on ls1tech classified for less used though probably. For what you are describing a 6.0 lq9 with a decent cam and intake/headers would do the job for you. Shouldn't really need the power of a 383 or 408 unless you plan on doing a lot of racing. It would be hell of a lot less work too. Especially with the highway driving you mentioned, I wouldn't do a stroker. But if you dead set on a stroker, you could probably find a 383 or 408 in the classifieds that you wouldn't have to assemble yourself.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt117
Stroker kits run $2k+ new. You could get a good stroker kit on ls1tech classified for less used though probably. For what you are describing a 6.0 lq9 with a decent cam and intake/headers would do the job for you. Shouldn't really need the power of a 383 or 408 unless you plan on doing a lot of racing. It would be hell of a lot less work too. Especially with the highway driving you mentioned, I wouldn't do a stroker. But if you dead set on a stroker, you could probably find a 383 or 408 in the classifieds that you wouldn't have to assemble yourself.
You know you, I read what you said, and took a step back and thought about it. Highway driving yes, towing and hauling yes, and mudding (yes yes yes).

If a 6.0L is truly "good enough", then in reality, I can just rebuilt one and drop straight into where my 5.3L was.

In that regard, I have an 05 Z model (stupid flew fuel), the 6.0L is direct drop in (and will probably need an ECU reflash or tune). What year should I grab to drop into that?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Any gen3 6.0 longblock will bolt up to everything in your truck. The engines are identical externaly. You can run your flex fuel injectors, 33lbs/50psi. You will need a tune after this swap. PS having the flex fuel engine is nice, you can up that fuel pressure and make some good power before you max the injectors. Toss some long tube headers and a cam in an lq9 and your should be happy close to 450 foot pounds.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6l

l had a completely stock 6L motor from swap meet. Went 162 mph in our 75 Monza at El Mirage lake bed. last time out, one run 178 with LS-3. You can watch on you tube "John kilgore goes 162"

Quick Reply: Differences in 5.3L engines?