LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Advanced Engineering Tech (https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech-107/)
-   -   Ls awd swap? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/1696942-ls-awd-swap.html)

MorePower37 12-27-2013 01:44 AM

Ls awd swap?

Before you guys hate on my yes I am asking about an engine swap and yes I am using ls and awd in the same sentance. I was wondering if it was possible to swap an ls motor into an awd car. What cars would be good for something like this? Is this even possible in the first place? Could I turbocharge/supercharge my engine in the future? I realize there would have to be custom work done but that would be done by a performance auto shop. I would like to do it own ny own but I think it would be too much work and require too many tools. Let me know what you guys think.

ayousef 01-01-2014 08:04 PM

I cant see why its not possible, everything is possible more or less. We have 4wd LS motors in trucks that we take to 1000+ hp, there are also AWD truck transfercases that have also seen that kind of abuse.

MorePower37 01-05-2014 02:43 AM

Yeah your right anything is possible with enough money but I was trying to get some ideas flowing on how the project would go. I don't want a truck but swapping a transfer case from one along with its ls motor would be a good idea. What coupes/sedans would be good for something like this?

Kbodls1 01-13-2014 04:24 PM

Well first off you need a list of awd cars, then pick what ones you think would have enough room for a ls. I was thinking about this very idea on my way home the other night, for me it would be the Acura TL (I know...A HONDA??!!), get the SH-AWD. Big Car you could stuff the LS in and a good looking.

dirty_old_chevy 01-18-2014 08:16 PM

You should look for a wrecked awd CTS-v for swap parts

raven154 01-22-2014 12:41 PM

There is no such thing as an AWD CTS-V. There is an AWD CTS with a V6.

AmishAssassin 01-24-2014 12:40 PM

Solution

I was going to keep this under wraps but since I am forever lacking funds for a dedicated project car, I guess I will divulge a build I had plans to do. It will in theory work. Audi c5 A6 6 speed, there was a company that makes an adapter to bolt directly to the O1E transmission in the Audi. You would need a twin disk clutch and upgraded axles aside from that it should fit with the intake flipped backwards and the battery relocated to the trunk. Notch out the primary firewall to make it a functional air intake. I want to do this so bad it could easily be done for under 15-20K and you would have a very reliable comfortable car with great handling. I wanted to do it to a B5 but there is just not enough room as in the A6.

chobes 02-14-2014 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by AmishAssassin (Post 17971790)
I was going to keep this under wraps but since I am forever lacking funds for a dedicated project car, I guess I will divulge a build I had plans to do. It will in theory work. Audi c5 A6 6 speed, there was a company that makes an adapter to bolt directly to the O1E transmission in the Audi. You would need a twin disk clutch and upgraded axles aside from that it should fit with the intake flipped backwards and the battery relocated to the trunk. Notch out the primary firewall to make it a functional air intake. I want to do this so bad it could easily be done for under 15-20K and you would have a very reliable comfortable car with great handling. I wanted to do it to a B5 but there is just not enough room as in the A6.

It's been done, here's motivation for you... https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ect-judas.html

imporericanHa4g63 12-07-2017 07:36 PM

Thoughts on an evo 8 or awd 2g eclipse holding the monster swap with ls

pdxmotorhead 12-07-2017 11:49 PM

E46 BMW 330 XI. Has a 6 speed manual thats the same as the m3, the 2005 is the magic year it does not have a torque sensing center diff its fixed 60rear 40% front diff.

The challenge is merging the LS pan with the BMW front diff, in the BMW they are bolted together, unless a colorado 4x4 with the V8 does the same thing?

The 2005 also has a kinda neat engine mount that is a steel frame that bolts up to teh bottom of the car so fabbing a motor mount to it should be relatively straight forward.

Plan on just gutting the wiring, there are almost 100 fuses in the factory fuse box..

TrendSetter 12-08-2017 07:16 AM

i have an awd silverado, uses np149 transfer case.
an s10 can also be done with the typhoon transfer case (bw4472)

anything else that im aware of would be a significant undertaking.

logic factory 12-15-2017 03:14 PM

what is your goal with the project and why do you want awd?
i may have further questions for you pending your response. please try to be as descriptive as possible so i have more to base my follow up questions on.
thank you!

Benjamin Jones 11-21-2020 07:25 PM

Miata

Originally Posted by MorePower37 (Post 17928038)
Yeah your right anything is possible with enough money but I was trying to get some ideas flowing on how the project would go. I don't want a truck but swapping a transfer case from one along with its ls motor would be a good idea. What coupes/sedans would be good for something like this?

I’m currently making an awd lm7 Miata rally car. I would higly suggest it although you have to raise it a couple inches so that the drivetrain clears because the engine sits so low. Either way Miata Is Always The Answer.

TrendSetter 12-01-2020 06:47 AM

what are you using for drivetrain?

Catfish Prince 02-23-2023 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Benjamin Jones (Post 20305987)
I’m currently making an awd lm7 Miata rally car. I would higly suggest it although you have to raise it a couple inches so that the drivetrain clears because the engine sits so low. Either way Miata Is Always The Answer.

Benjamin, what drivetrain/setup are you using for it?

G Atsma 02-23-2023 01:23 AM

Benjamin Jones hasn't been around since Nov 2020

Catfish Prince 02-23-2023 02:03 AM

aw man, im writing out an lm7 swap rn. WOuld be great to see if I can make it awd.