Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

GT Power / Gamma Technologies

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT Power / Gamma Technologies

Does anyone on here use GT Power / Suite and have an engine build for an LS?

I was interested in developing a model for my lS2 and if someone had a baseline engine already compiled it would be great.

Regards
Old 06-28-2014, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you have some decent engineering background if you are going to try modeling an LS2 in GT Power (or even have access to GT Power)

I've built LS2 models in 2 of the 'other' big gas dynamics programs, but unfortunately I do not have any GT power models. It can be quite the undertaking to build a full engine model, I've spent upwards of several months building one, running cases, troubleshooting, and trying to correlate to data.

There is a sizeable chunk of data you'll need.
At a minimum, you need to be good with fluid mechanics in order to convert head flow in CFM at a given pressure differential to a valve discharge coefficient.
You'll also need lift vs. angle measurements for the stock cam at every few degrees. This is easier said than done if taking the measurements for yourself via a dial indicator. You must include the effect of the lifter and ideally, the non-linearity of the rocker arm.
You'll also have to do some research into an appropriate friction model as well as what combustion model to use if you are wanting to get power/torque numbers instead of just VE.

Do you have a specific goal in mind?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm a mechanical engineer and I recently went to training at Gamma on the software. I will be making some engine models for work and correlating those, but I would like to do an ls2 just to investigate items on my own car. Really just boost pressure for a couple different supercharges and then effects with different heads, CR and maybe strokes. I wont e able correlate any of the lS2 data so the more accurate stuff that is already out there that I can use would be great.

I assume that someone has the cam profile made or maybe comp etc could share a similar one. You are right there wil be a ton of assumptions in this but it will be a good learning excercise as well.

Do you have the cam and discharge coefficients that you could share? Maybe for exchange I'll share my model with you.

Regards

Quick Reply: GT Power / Gamma Technologies