Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Two boosted builds, both drink oil. Experts are stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I built 2 Gen 1 , 406 engines Mine had the best of everything Ross pistons , Total seal Rings , ect . Made great power and it always used Oil, With hard use 1 quart every 200 miles. The next one about a Year later was for a Customer, the Parts used were good but not Top Shelf. This time I filled the Block with Hard Block to the bottom of the Waterpump outlets. This Engine was installed in a lifted K-10 with big tires and He beat the **** out of it. He said that oil consumption was the same as a stock Motor 1 quart in about 1500-2000 miles.

Hard Block works , it supports the cylinder walls and keeps the cylinder walls from vibrating at high cylinder pressures. On a N/A motor the loss of coolant on the lower 1/2 of the cylinder didn't hurt anything . I don't think it will hurt in a boosted Motor but it's best to research it with someone who knows more about building Turbo Motors than Me. Stan
Old 10-06-2014, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JGalt
is there ANYTHING that could have prevented the oil from getting to the cylinders? do you have absolute confirmation that oil is actually reaching the cylinder walls? The oil pressure gauge may show the oil manifold is pressurized but if something funny is going on there could be a blockage or a hole is too big or who knows what, and it doesnt reduce the overall oil pressure but it prevents the right amount of oil from getting to the wall.

If this happened after 30,000 miles then I'd say probably not. But since it happened twice after the engine was apart within a few hundred miles then "something funny" is definitely possible. Did they do anything that could have left particles or beads in the oil passages? Could the bearings be in backwards? How exactly are the cylinders lubricated in your setup and is there some way you can confirm all is well?
Originally Posted by JGalt
Is it possible on this motor to have the rods backwards and therefore point squirter holes the wrong direction?

I'm confident oil is getting to the cylinders otherwise the engine would have failed a long time ago. Bearings and rods were all installed correctly.

Originally Posted by Ari G
Might be a bad piston design as you have alot of stroke and then piston design gets critical with rock at BDC that will cause blowby and oil consumption

Are the pistons the same on both builds?

What hone job and rings are you using?
Pistons were the same in both builds. Hone was done by two different shops (different shop each interation) and per total seals recommendations. Rings are total seal gapless top. Interesting thought on the piston rock at bdc. I'm replacing the pistons anyway since I'm going to be bumping compression a bit this time around.

Originally Posted by sssuch
Years ago I built 2 Gen 1 , 406 engines Mine had the best of everything Ross pistons , Total seal Rings , ect . Made great power and it always used Oil, With hard use 1 quart every 200 miles. The next one about a Year later was for a Customer, the Parts used were good but not Top Shelf. This time I filled the Block with Hard Block to the bottom of the Waterpump outlets. This Engine was installed in a lifted K-10 with big tires and He beat the **** out of it. He said that oil consumption was the same as a stock Motor 1 quart in about 1500-2000 miles.

Hard Block works , it supports the cylinder walls and keeps the cylinder walls from vibrating at high cylinder pressures. On a N/A motor the loss of coolant on the lower 1/2 of the cylinder didn't hurt anything . I don't think it will hurt in a boosted Motor but it's best to research it with someone who knows more about building Turbo Motors than Me. Stan
I've considered a partial block fill but I am concerned about cooling and street driving. I will need to do some homework on this. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian and I are going to get this re-rebuild to an engine dyno soon. The goal of the dyno session will be to get the rings seated and make sure there is no oil consumption problems. I know a bit about building motors but now I have to study up on testing and measuring techniques during the dyno session.

Karl @ Ellwein Engines
Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Ellwein
Brian and I are going to get this re-rebuild to an engine dyno soon. The goal of the dyno session will be to get the rings seated and make sure there is no oil consumption problems. I know a bit about building motors but now I have to study up on testing and measuring techniques during the dyno session.

Karl @ Ellwein Engines
Rings are typically "seated" before the engine is ever fired. I would focus on the tune more than anything.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian has a tight motor now it seems. The only problem we/I had on the dyno was that a small oil leak developed at the back of the intake manifold and then that small leak got larger and larger as the day went on. Could not see where it was coming from. Tried re-doing the oil plug but that did not help. Turned out to be the poor RTV seal of the intake manifold. Anyway...the rings seated instantly (as expected). Here I was all worried and anxious about so many things but I was not expecting a bad RTV bead. Even after doing 100's of intake manifold installations I can mess that up.

Quick Reply: Two boosted builds, both drink oil. Experts are stumped.