Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

NGK TR6 vs. TR55?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NGK TR6 vs. TR55?

I almost exclusively use TR6's gapped at .040" now on all the cars I do. I go one heat range colder due to DCR and timing. I am finding many stock LS2 and 3 combos detonate with stock timing tables. Going to 6's usually takes care of it and I can run a little more timing. I have been doing it with cam only cars as well. It seems to me that I may be better off running the hotter 55's at say .050"-.055" gap. If I am looking at this from a DCR or cylinder pressure angle. It seems that going with a later IVO will need a hotter plug and less fuel to make the same tq with the loss of DCR. I also remember way back in the distributor and digital ignition days running the most powerful MSD I could find and running spark gaps up to .060". I am sure the individual coils we have now put out a ton more voltage. In the end I am looking to find what is going to make the most tq and efficient burn in most driving conditions. More max power would be nice as well. Has anyone experimented with this on the dyno? The track is cool but hardly scientific.

Quick Reply: NGK TR6 vs. TR55?