Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Unorthodox knock sensing ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Unorthodox knock sensing ?

Please dont judge me for my choice of equipment and dont give me the " shoulda done this" answer, if thats not too much to ask., lol.
thought.....im running a fitech TB on mu ls3 based turbo engine. Im using the MSD 6014 ignition controller. Neather offer knock detection or knock retard. Ive been researching a devise made by Phormula that detects knock. The devise offers an output for data logging. The MSD has an input for timing retard that uses engine temp sensor to tell the box when to retard timing.
im not the sharpest tool in ghe shed on eldctronics, BUT.... does it seem feasable to use the the output from the knock detector to trigger the MSDs temp retard function ?
thanks kn advance for your input.
Please forgive the rsndom fat finger. I hope itvstill legable. Damn phone ( ;
Old 05-02-2018, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Crankshaft Acceleratiom Measurement = Knock Sensing

Hi 72, MY IGN-8-TTL-LS ignition features Crankshaft Acceleration Measurement, the BEST method for Detonation Sensing. (Automatic Spark Retard)

The Phormula Box, is one item I have never tested, just read about their product.
I too have built a Piezo Amplifier module that used the TWO LS sensors that output their signals into the differential amplifier IC that produced a five volt output that is connected to ECU AUX input for Spark Instant changes.

THUS Phormula use could drive a relay that could change the resistance of the MSD MAT sensor.

Lance
Old 05-02-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Phormula ks 4 has an adjustable resistance feature to dial in for the knock frequence of different engines. They also have a formula based on the engines piston diameter to get the user close on their knock "noise". My hope is the adjustability of the MSD heat threshhold to trigger retard ( via MSDview on a laptop) could be dialed in to take whatever signal the knock box sends and recognise it as the same signal the temp sensor sends. As i said in my opening post, im not very well versed on difference types of signal or are they just simple electrical pulses to "trigger" a response ?