Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents
View Poll Results: What best describes you and your automotive credentials?
Engineer: Automotive or Motor vehicle related
8.25%
Mechanic: Professional
17.08%
Wrench on everything yourself but not getting paid for it.
31.77%
Really enjoy cars and do some wrenching but leave the big stuff to the pro's
21.11%
I like Cars!
3.07%
Engineer: Other fields besides auto
14.78%
Other: Tell us your car credentials... and why we should listen to your opinion
3.93%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Advanced Reader Poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tech for 15 years
Wrenched on the NHRA pro circuit for 6 years
Currently fabricate twin turbo systems for Vipers, Lamborghinis, and Ford GT's
Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

tech for 10 years, shop owner for 6. work on mostly daily driver cars and trucks.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Smile

I have been running a performance exhaust and general auto tech business with my Father for the past 3.5 years. I am mainly interested in engines and the technical aspects of how they work. i.e. Volumetric efficiencies, clearances, pressures etc. I do some of the teching at our shop, but usually only get my fingers dirty on the things that interest me ( mainly ecm flashing and performance upgrades )
I have a diploma in web design and graphic design but I don't work much in that field due to lack of interest.
I am currently working on going back to school in the fall of 09 to the Schulich School of Engineering for my degree in Mechanical Engineering. I am not sure where or who I will be working with, but Automotive performance will allways be a passion of mine.

As far as listening to me. I will only post if I have a relevant question or if I have some information that will be helpful. Otherwise, I do more reading than commenting.

Arthur

Last edited by REGALIS; 10-30-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfresh
Tech for 15 years
Wrenched on the NHRA pro circuit for 6 years
Currently fabricate twin turbo systems for Vipers, Lamborghinis, and Ford GT's
Nothing this and your location, you must be doing stuff for UGR.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Tig weld SS sanitary tube in a plant all day and design and fab everything from platforms for tanks and catwalks and fitting pipe of course. Network design engineer on paper and lead installer for 7 years, going for my real engeneering degree (mechanical) at night. My design and welding are average for the advanced forum, I'm hear to learn about forced induction iron block gen III's for a Datsun Z because its fast and cheap

RK
Somewhere in the BlueGrass
Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GM tech 15 yrs, started in dads MG restoration shop, worked part time on bush grand national north team doing fab work, I own a cnc plasma table, mill and lathe that I run as a hobby, former Marine so I'm stuborn. G
Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 PM

ASE Mater Tech 28 years. Ran own late model performance shop for 7 years. Avid drag racer, played with high compression Nitrous engines for 4 years, now playing with superchargers. Currently build Superformance Cobra's/Daytona Coupes/GT-40's and Shelby CSX cars. Mostly engine and drivetrain install and tuning. Get to "test drive" each one when it's done!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 PM
8 Second Club

Default Other

I have been working all of my life i did my first cam swap when i was 14. My dad got home to find the farm truck in peices. I went to NADC in 88 and 89 worked for GM dealer for a year . Also worked summers for Heavy equipment repair shop. Got tired of the pubilc way to high strung back then worked as a welder and fabricator for 6 years now am a mechanic for a papermill 14 years. I Have owened PBR for the last 8 years . I do cages , turbos , nitrous systems, wireing and suspesion set ups and tuning ( fast ) and mostly F bodys but a few mustangs . I have a drag radial car that was the most consistent car ever in Pump Gas Drags and was in the top 10(6TH) .
Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

professional technician, 20 year old attending the School of Automotive Machinists. I'm being educated by Judson Massingill and Casey Schneider. Also have read many books in relation to the internal combustion engine.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

I do most of my own work... When I break something, I take it to the pro's. haha!
Advanced Engineering Tech is my favorite section... i can only take so much of "whats the best SOUNDING cam" ....

23yo College grad... C.O.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:08 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw this thread got bumped because of some spam being posted to it. I read through it and saw we have some very impressive credentials for a lot of folks in here. I'm glad to see the technical depth of many of the folks reading and contributing. As posted above, you can only take so many "whats the best sounding cam?" threads.

I'm a self educated network engineer by trade. Cars are my hobby.

Anyhow, I've always been interested in cars. My dad got me hooked early on. I have fond memories of screaming like a little girl when my dad took me to go hear a friends Blown Fuel Hydro run at the drag boat races. I think I was about 4. A blown Hemi with zoomies is incredibly loud to a 4 year old when you are standing next to it and they light it off...

Dad had a couple of 57 Chevrolet project cars he played with and drag raced when I was young out at the strip at Porter, Texas. When I was in high school he purchased a '88 Corvette which was my first experience with modifying EFI cars. We also drag raced it at Porter before they closed it.

I did a lot of street racing with a 1972 Nova that we had along with wrenching on quite a few friends cars as well. Did a lot of stret racing around Baytown, and also used to take it to Westheimer and Center Street in Deer Park.

Along the way it turns out one of my very good friends father's owned a automotive machine shop. So, starting in Jr. High I would ride my bike down to the shop and watch and learn about everything that I could.

Most of what I've picked up is a combination of hands on, or watching, or both.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm an old hand, at the eternal SBC, but still a newb to the LSx. I'm a professional automotive machinist, good on the flowbench, the serdi, and the dyno, and a master of camming a SBC, but the LSx seemed good for another 100 hp, and another 1000 rpm, for any given cam spec, so I decided that more power with the same mileage and driveability was the only way I could go, from then on. That was about 3 years ago. The cost of going LSx is still high for a car that's still got a good mouse, and for those customers I start with either Patriot Freedom heads, or AFR 180cc heads, or Dart Platinum 200 cc heads. But I'm doing more 5.3s every month, including a couple of my own. I have a 5.3 in my '89 Mustang, and I put a 5.3 in my '84 Fiero. In the back, where the 4-cylinder was. No part of any of these discussions has been difficult reading, I'm just far less inexperienced at LSXs than I am at SBCs.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jus your average 15 year old.

Two semesters of auto mechanics.

Put a few motors together in class, from the cam to the intake manifold.

I guess I'm ahead of my age for the average car enthusiast. I read up on alot of the forums, so when i get my f-body I dont make the same mistakes others have.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

5 Years of Engine building in the Hardcore Honda Performance world. I've moved on.

Personal Best was a 641whp B16, 100 octane, stock displacement no nitrous, street drivable.

Big numbers in a 876whp B18, 1.9L. Not street drivable... 8 sec 1/4's all day.

Also have done work on tons of domestics, including my own but havn't had the chance to work freely on one (like the above two examples). Busy with med-school and other crap like that, and the almighty $$$$.

Cool thread.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just your average 15 year old with a couple high school auto classes under his belt.

Tore down a 305 a few times.. From the distributer to the carb, intake, headers, heads, valves, cam, rockers, push rods all that good stuff. Tore down a little mystery V6 too many times to count. Took apart a carb but cant remember how to do it haha. Same with an alternator. Disassembled drum brakes (well everyone can do that..). Never really messed with the bottom end or any machining of any kind... Yet.

Basically just waiting till i get my first f-body which I'll hopefully have in the next 5 months.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

am 33 years old and have been an army wheeled mechanic now for 11 years..learned all my ls1 stuff with hands on with friends, done many clutch/slave swaps, rear end swaps, and some SBC stuff..no i dont get paid for working on other peoples stuff..but thats what friends do...
Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ASE Master tech for 3 years at GM, Associates degree in automotive technology, SEMA intern, and currently work in the performance industry for 20 of the largest Aftermarket manufacturers for perf. parts, including Edelbrock. built from the ground up a turbo LS daily driver with 700rwtq, and I just turned 21
Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

I'm an honest #4 as I'm not equipped to do everything. I have the knowledge, I feel. But just don't have the tools/space.
But looking to step it up to a #3 with a new garage build this month.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 PM
8 Second Club

I am a 72 year old Graduate mechanical engineer with a major in Internal Combustion engines.(University of Florida)

I am not retired but head up the engineering department for a company that manufactures and distributes aftermarket components for Class 6,7 and 8 heavy duty trucks.
Our company product line includes not only engine parts but chassis, suspension and drivetrain as well.

The products we produce include crankshafts, cylinder heads, camshafts
manifolds, transmission and differential gears, axles, frame
crossmembers etc. etc...

We have been with this company from the beginning, (1st employee) to the present (over 200 employees)

So much for our day job........

We have been involved in building high performance engines since the mid '50s with
a fair amount of success. During the late 60s and 70s we competed in NHRA regional
points events and national events also (Winternationals,World Finals, Gatornationals etc.)
In 1970 we held NHRA records in A/MP,B/MP and C/MP at the same time. We also built record holding engines for A Econo altered and Pro Stock qualifiers at the 1976/1977 Winternationals.

In 1978 we had a fire that destroyed our shop along with 2 drag cars and a ton of equipment and inventory.
That fire effectively put an end to our drag racing fun until 3 years ago we decided to build a daily driver toy. (2006 GTO)

The GTO is strictly an informal toy with no plans to make it a serious racer.
(see signature below)

Oh!....from 1966 thru 1974 we worked at Cape Kennedy, launching booster rockets for
Lunar Orbiters, spy satelites and some other stuff that was so secret that they
wouldn't even tell us.
We also got the opportunity to do some early design work on the shuttle. (the electrical
wire routing in the bay doors have our mark on them.)

Anyway.....that's some of the highlights.....more than enough to
allow this old fogey to tell tales well into the night.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

23 here graduated from lincoln tech with honors, i know its not the best but hey i still understand whats goin on here

Ive been around cars my whole life my dad is an excellent technician a couple years he did the ase top tech challenge and did very well overall. He is the one who got me into this stuff, as a kid i was always laying under someones car in the driveway with him while he was fixing it. I did alot better than he did in auto school but i doubt ill ever ammount to the kind of tech he is.

My neighbor growing up had an influence on me as well as he is also a tech and often had a friends drag car at his house, I remember standing there with my jaw on the ground when they would have the thing running.

I love this section cuz sometimes i can actually learn from it instead of all the what cam sounds the best threads like said above.
This section often makes me jealous as I would love to work on alot of the stuff i see in here, all i get to work on is crappy can of worm cars it seems.

Quick Reply: Advanced Reader Poll