Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Converting to Methanol

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to Methanol

What's required to turn a normal motor into a methanol motor? Valve seals, rings etc. What can be done to prevent oil contamination?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Juiced
What's required to turn a normal motor into a methanol motor? Valve seals, rings etc. What can be done to prevent oil contamination?

Valve seals should already be viton or teflon so no change is needed.
The rings stay the same, though some people gap them tigher due to the lower piston operating temp.
I don't think you can prevent the oil contamination. I'd just use cheap oil and change it often. Maybe someone has a better idea.

To convert over depends on a few things. Hopefully you'll get several different inputs here. I'd say one common one would be a complete upgrade of the fuel system to include cell, fittings, lines, regulator, and injectors that are compatable with methanol. The required fuel volume will increase over gasoline, so you may need to upgrade in size as well.

If you will always be flushing the system with gasoline after running the methanol then I'm sure you can get away with not changing the whole system. You would need a separate fuel cell though.

From what I've seen I would say that low compression engines don't run so well on methanol. I'd suggest taking advantage of the fuel and run as much compression as you can.

Last edited by white2001s10; 12-28-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I knew about the fuel system my concern was with the internals.

All lines are Braided Stainless lines.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Just because the lines are stainless braided don't think they aren't affected. The stainless line has some type of rubber liner in it, so you have to check and see if that is compatable with methanol. Also, your pump seals and other components in the fuel pump may not like the methanol. If you have any o-ring fittings, you would have to make sure they can handle meth.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont forget to stick a couple of turbos on there to take advantage of the lower temps and higher octane!

sorry Chris.

Quick Reply: Converting to Methanol