Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Morel Lifter question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morel Lifter question...

Ok, so I am selling my ETP Heads, and will be putting on a set of 6.0L heads (once I find a set). I plan on using my stock cam, or an Z06 cam, and the morel lifters. I am not sure if the morels are taller than stock, and if so, enough to offset the smaller base circle or not. Yes, I know, get an adjustable prod, but without going thru all that, does anyone know? Normally I'd use a 7.400 for the Z06 cam, stock rockers, and unmilled 6.0L heads...but not sure since the Morels may be taller.

Charlie
Old 07-24-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Just assemble everything with a checking pushrod and measure it all. Don't try to calculate what it will be. The stack-up of tolerances will prove your calculations incorrect.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben R
The stack-up of tolerances will prove your calculations incorrect.
Agreed.

I might have one laying around you could borrow Charlie.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Restricted User

I figured as much.. I have a checker. Man, I am getting lazy in my older age.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

The morels are taller by .135" on the body. If they are lifters you have bought within the last 3 to 4 months they are designed to take .695" using the OEM lifter guides. The Morel was specifically designed to be used with small base circle cams and avoid oiling issues.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Restricted User

Chris, I bought these over a year ago. I heard they changed the body design, but wasn't sure. Do I need to ditch these older ones since I am going to a smaller base circle? ****.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
Chris, I bought these over a year ago. I heard they changed the body design, but wasn't sure. Do I need to ditch these older ones since I am going to a smaller base circle? ****.

NO, NO, NO. Your fine. All of Morels LS1 lifter designs were engineered to be used with small base circle aftermarket cams. This is why the oil band is designed and located on the lifter. What they first had was 2 lifters. One for .650" lift and an optional .695" lift that was a little taller. The made a decision to just go with the .695" lifter in Jan of this year. Except for the extra body length that is the only difference. What you have will go .650" lift no issues and run on a small base circle no problems.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Restricted User

Ok, thanks Chris. I am still in crying over pulling the ETP Heads off and that nice cam I've been running.. driving around with a stock set of 6L heads and a Z06 cam will be like downgrading to a V-6 or something.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must have missed it, but why are you selling everything?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the older Morel's as well. I plan on going .660" with them. Is it a must that you upgrade to the taller version or can pushrod legnth make up the diffrence?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I've got the older Morel's as well. I plan on going .660" with them. Is it a must that you upgrade to the taller version or can pushrod legnth make up the diffrence?
Pushrod length won't do anything for this. The lifter guide uses a flat milled on the lifter. If the lobe lift is greater then what the lifter flat area is then it can cause damage.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Viper
I must have missed it, but why are you selling everything?

Going thru mid-life crisis.... Ok cereally, I have had nothing but issues with neighbors bitching about my car, just moved to Arizona, and now I am surrounded by an older group (elderly) of retiree's and my wife wants the car toned down. So, I bought a Busa and will be changing the setup. Hopefully will start collecting all the FI goodies soon, turbo's sure do make an exhaust quiet
Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAT3
Going thru mid-life crisis.... Ok cereally, I have had nothing but issues with neighbors bitching about my car, just moved to Arizona, and now I am surrounded by an older group (elderly) of retiree's and my wife wants the car toned down. So, I bought a Busa and will be changing the setup. Hopefully will start collecting all the FI goodies soon, turbo's sure do make an exhaust quiet

Screw the neighbors...

When they bitch about the GTO... I borrow a customer's blown Mustang for a weekend.

Ed
Old 08-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by EDC

Screw the neighbors...

When they bitch about the GTO... I borrow a customer's blown Mustang for a weekend.

Ed

Ed, not to fear the "CAT3" cam by EDC will be out terrorizing new neighbors soon. The new owner should have it this next week, and will be waiting on some feedback on it. Mine is getting toned down until school is over. Besides, doesnt seem like there is a big racing scene in Tucson area, Phoenix is a whole different story though, but 3+ hrs away.

I'll be measuring the pushrods this w/e or next week. After that only thing I will be waiting on is the manifolds and cats.

Quick Reply: Morel Lifter question...