Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

rising rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rising rpm

My question is how is rpm controlled, i know that the throttle body has an IAC on it so its obviously getting air in that way to keep it at the desired idle. But what happens when you open the throttle, is it just the explosion have more force, therefore it accelerates the pistons.... Just curisoue what the technichal answer is to this question.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stilllt1
My question is how is rpm controlled, i know that the throttle body has an IAC on it so its obviously getting air in that way to keep it at the desired idle. But what happens when you open the throttle, is it just the explosion have more force, therefore it accelerates the pistons.... Just curisoue what the technichal answer is to this question.
"Throttle" means to restrict the amount of air the engine takes in. As you open the throttle (actually un-throttle the engine) you let more air in and more fuel is added, so there is more to burn and more power is produced.

When the load on the engine just equals the power produced it stops reving (or accelerating). That's cruise. If you give it more "gas" (air actually), it continues to accelerate the vehicle until the power required to maintain a speed equals the power available. That's the clue: power required = power available.

Quick Reply: rising rpm