Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Power Recovery System.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Power Recovery System.

ok i have been looking at a few WW2 aircraft recently and came cacross some very intresting stuff that came about just after WW2. in the late 1940's jet engines where just starting to come in. this was fine for the air force but airliners still wanted to run tried and tested units.

anyway they came up with some very novel systems to recover the power that you would normally throw out the exhaust.

basically they ran turbines (like on a turbo) that where geard back to the crank! these systems used the exhaust gas to drive them and where able to recover upto 20% of the power form the engine that would normally be pump out the exhaust pipe!

i was wondering, could this kind of system be used on modern car engines? also it could make the engines "greener" as you would need less power, and thus fuel, when crusing around.

i know its got a lot of peoblems, packaging being the biggest problem these days, but it has to be better than all the stupid hybrid cars out there!!!

thanks Chris
Old 05-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of recent experiments using a jet engine to spin an electric turbo generator that powers electric motors as well as charges backup batteries...
Old 05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, they were called "power recovery turbines". They used the exhaust gas energy to spin the turbines that are connected to the crankshaft.

I think the better idea for a couple of reasons is to use the exhaust gas to spin a supercharger for increased power.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Or a tubro-charger !!!

If memory serves... the German ME 109 used a tubro-charged engine along with fuel injection back in WW 2.

Jet engines are currently being used to power generators... GE has complete systems available for industrial use.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

thanks guys.

so there is no real use on a car or truck???

take it its just better to run a boosted engine.

thanks Chris.

PS. i was reading that some rolls royce didn't want to go turbo on their aircraft becuase they would lose the trust they got from the exhaust stacks! how cool is that! lol
Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Or a tubro-charger !!!

If memory serves... the German ME 109 used a tubro-charged engine along with fuel injection back in WW 2.

Jet engines are currently being used to power generators... GE has complete systems available for industrial use.
no the 109 ran a hydraulic clutched SC. think they did run injection though. think there was even direct injection going to be introduced to some american engines. for some reason it never made it to production.

Chris,
Old 05-04-2007, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuntington101
thanks guys.
so there is no real use on a car or truck???
Google "turbocompounding"
Scania, Cummins & Holset have done a ton of work over the past 20 years on using a power turbine downstream of a turbocharger.
http://www.holset.co.uk/files/2_5_1_...d%20system.php

The added complexity has not made it a viable proposition until recent years when more stringent emmision laws and new complex electronic controls have appeared.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...67/ai_81147055
Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuntington101
no the 109 ran a hydraulic clutched SC. think they did run injection though. think there was even direct injection going to be introduced to some american engines. for some reason it never made it to production.

Chris,
Sorry... the ME 109 DB605 engine did use a supercharger with direct fuel injection.

Some Allied aircraft used turbo-charged engines in WW 2.

The DB605 engines (later models) were fitted with methanol/water or nitrous-oxide injection for additional power.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Teching In

probably not the best idea for a car, youd be better off just running a turbo. but yes, jet engine powered generators are around. the USAF has tons of them we use to provide electricty or bleed air to aircraft.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...THISWEEKSISSUE

Or that

Quick Reply: Power Recovery System.