Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

hp vs cfm

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hp vs cfm

I've noticed that the 4.8, 5.3, and the 6.0 all have similar (within reason) hp figures. They have comon intake, and exaust manifolds. This makes sence as the smaller motors make less torque and rev higher to get the hp. Now my real question is:

How fast would I need to spin a 6.0 liter ,with l92 heads, to make a peak 600hp?

Will a simple cfm = hp formula get me a rule of thumb idea?

Just curious
Dot
Old 11-22-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Peak power has nothing to do with RPM and everything to do with CFM of air moved through the engine. To make that kind of power it's obviously going to take good heads, a BIG cam and lots of RPM. It also won't be what I would call a STREET motor for that C-10 of yours. If 600 hp is your goal it might be easier to attain and better to drive with forced induction.

Re'
Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Kind of what i figured. but i have always liked the sound and pull of a highe winding small block. I feel like a stroked (402) wouldn't produce "mutch" more peak hp, but it would simply move the peak hp to a lower rpm. Mabe im all wet but thats what i've noticed from looking at dyno graphs over the years. The truck weighs a lot so I agree it probly wouldn't be a nice pet.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your right. The same size cam in a larger engine will drive the power peek lower, but that's why we run larger cams in larger motors.

Peek horsepower is nice to brag about. But it's the midrange and low end we use to get around on a normal day.

Re'
Old 11-23-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is better to look at air mass consumption.

I have found for a gen 3/4 NA engine you will make around 1 hp for every .916 grams per second.

LT1's will make closer to 1 hp for every gram per second.

Quick Reply: hp vs cfm