Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LS heads on a ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
I've literally built hundreds of engines, both chevrolet and ford, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. Chevy lacks on their blocks due to the lack of deck height. You can't get a good compression height on a piston with a 4" crank without using 5.850 rods, unless you want to fork out the cash for a tall deck height block. Fords have 9.5 deck height blocks, and you can put a 4.250 crank in them with a 6.200 rod and still have a 1.700 compression height. Its all about how much money you want to spend. As far as an all out race engine, I wouldn't even consider an lsx engine. It would cost entirely too much to make the durable hp that you could make with the standard sbc. I've built plenty of $1500 short blocks for customers, and I've built $8000 short blocks. Its all in how fast, and for how long you want to go. And as far as aluminum blocks go, there is no advantage whatsoever other than it being lighter. Building a 1200hp aluminum small block nitrous engine would be stupid. The aluminum small blocks aren't strong enough to support the hp.
Sounds to me like I am talking to someone that has only built old *** fords and chevy's . I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm not here to convert some die hard ford guy into running LSX powerplant's.Hell us real GM guys enjoy out running the **** out of you. And is anyone else getting tired of ford guys jumping on here talking **** about our cars. I mean after all this is LS1 tech . Not P.O.S ford.com. You haven't seen me in any mustang forum have you. That's because there isn't anything in there I need.I wouldn't think I would have to explain why the LSX series engines are the better choice.But if it makes you feel better, hell yes I think ls1 heads will be a big damn improvment to a SBF.All I was original stating was why stop there .Why not the whole engine since you are already selling out any way.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Ps:happy New Year!58
Old 01-01-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

And as far as aluminum blocks go, there is no advantage whatsoever other than it being lighter.
really... someone needs to tell the engineers at every major car company in the world then! their aluminum engine programs are worth nothing but weight savings.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
nice to see those tools on there running their sausage washers about chevys. Can anyone do anything with LS parts without ******** putting chevy down in one way or another? yea thats it, chevy just copied ford heads how GD delusional can someone be?
i know what your saying.and one guy in there said Robert Yates helped develop the LS1 heads..where the hell did that come from,lol?

Last edited by 66deuce; 01-02-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
really... someone needs to tell the engineers at every major car company in the world then! their aluminum engine programs are worth nothing but weight savings.

Ya lol +2... Thermal Dynamics play no role with internal combustion engines Actually I think its the other way around. People crack me up when they make assumptions like these.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does this work?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes. similar bolt pattern and the same exact cyl spacing.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Thats cool. I have a soft spot for things that arent conventional. Functional? I bet it is. Too bad LS1 heads dont work on Gen II or I small chevies.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by slick1851
So does this work?
Not without a lot of fabrication. I've done this, and it isn't a "bolt-on" head by far. For the average Joe, it would end up costing just as much, or more than the equivalent aftermarket sbf head. I'm thinking that may be why he hasn't posted anymore info on it in a while.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by theroad64
Thats cool. I have a soft spot for things that arent conventional. Functional? I bet it is. Too bad LS1 heads dont work on Gen II or I small chevies.
i really dig unconventional stuff as well (such as big body wagons; uncommon, unloved cars; and talking a friend into building an 8-71 blown bbf for his 78 lincoln mkV) and I think this would be cool to do. cost effective? no. practical? no. but to some hobby-ists such as me, does that generally matter? no. we're the kind of guys that do stuf becasuse we can...

i remember hearing somewhere that dart was supposed to be producing a block that used sbc parts combined with ls heads though...
Old 01-16-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

I wanna see an auto ls1 with cam intake and exhuast putting down 400-450rwhp and thats with a mild cam. He says with something more aggressive the numbers will go up. Maybe I could see 400 or just a little over. How can you be doing something thats pretty cool and then get something so simple messed up. oh well.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not without a lot of fabrication. I've done this, and it isn't a "bolt-on" head by far. For the average Joe, it would end up costing just as much, or more than the equivalent aftermarket sbf head. I'm thinking that may be why he hasn't posted anymore info on it in a while.
like what kind of fabrication? how far did you get before you called it quits? what problems did you run into?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rons 00z
like what kind of fabrication? how far did you get before you called it quits? what problems did you run into?
I got everything to work. Had to offset mill the top head bolt holes, mill the pushrod holes, had to mill the underside of the intake runners so the pushrods wouldn't hit, and then had to make a sheet metal intake. Fords are opposite from chevrolets with their cylinder offset. #1 on a chevy is on the drivers side, and #1 on a for is on the passenger side. If it weren't for that, the LS intake would work fine. You can't get a ford intake to work because on a ford head, the intake runners are centered on the head, and an LS head they are off to one side, which make the runner spacing way off.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

So how did it run?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
So how did it run?
LOL...never got around to putting it into anything. Everything is just sitting in the corner of the garage.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
Sounds to me like I am talking to someone that has only built old *** fords and chevy's . I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm not here to convert some die hard ford guy into running LSX powerplant's.Hell us real GM guys enjoy out running the **** out of you. And is anyone else getting tired of ford guys jumping on here talking **** about our cars. I mean after all this is LS1 tech . Not P.O.S ford.com. You haven't seen me in any mustang forum have you. That's because there isn't anything in there I need.I wouldn't think I would have to explain why the LSX series engines are the better choice.But if it makes you feel better, hell yes I think ls1 heads will be a big damn improvment to a SBF.All I was original stating was why stop there .Why not the whole engine since you are already selling out any way.
PS...

Would it still have a ford sound since it keeps the ford firing order?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

id like to see the results if he ever finished it.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Teching In

me too
Old 02-02-2008, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Some more recent discussion at the link in the 1st post. Kind of funny hearing all the Ford people saying how much better GM's stuff is.

Quick Reply: LS heads on a ford