Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Effectiveness of hood scoops

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effectiveness of hood scoops

Considering it's going to be on a car that's naturally aspirated, no turbo or supercharging (yet), and definitely no nitrous, are functional hood scoops effective, or is it more just a cosmetic thing?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

Ram Air Really Helps
Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This definetly isn't advanced tech material, but... From what I've read and remember from watching pro mod drag racing their scoops are worth a few tenths in the quarter mile alone.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a street driven car, driving sane speeds, almost all of the gain would be from the fact that the air is colder from outside vs. the engine bay
Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with grimes, a "functional" hood scoop has the greatest benefit of providing colder more dense air and that is where the power increase comes from, not from ram air (pressure increase) effect.
I don't rememeber off top of my head exactly and you can probably google it, are graphs showing relative power increase as air temperature drops. And there have been graphs also off what the speed would need to be to for air pressure increases (ramming affect) and it was something ridiculous, like +0.1 psi was over 100mph. The power vs air temperature graph was much more reasonable and practical when considering 130F vs < 80F intake air, so for 95% of us there is no ramming affect it's all a cold air advantage.

also worth mentioning for a real functional scoop which would be large is the ability to simply allow a large volume of air to get into the engine, versus having the engine to pull it through a restrictive air box and piping.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I found a hood with a scoop (cowl induction-style) that I, initially made a cardboard mockup of, and, lo and behold, someone on one of the other forums pointed out Harwood makes one that's very close to what I'd just designed.

Here it is:

http://www.eharwood.com/catalog/prod...?productID=400

Only thing I need to do is to configure the necessary plumbing to route the air to the lid/throttle body.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS2ddz28
I found a hood with a scoop (cowl induction-style) that I, initially made a cardboard mockup of, and, lo and behold, someone on one of the other forums pointed out Harwood makes one that's very close to what I'd just designed.

Here it is:

http://www.eharwood.com/catalog/prod...?productID=400

Only thing I need to do is to configure the necessary plumbing to route the air to the lid/throttle body.
Well if the air is not routed to the induction system you will see no benefit. Other than cool air in the engine compartment. I agree this is not advanced tech related. Go to gen III external engine, all the CAI and related items are found there.

Quick Reply: Effectiveness of hood scoops