Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

1/2" head stud conversion questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2" head stud conversion questions.

I am curious at what point it is recommended to upgrade to the 1/2" head stud conversion like I've seen W2W doing? And any ballpark pricing on such a conversion. I know my combo isnt the best but its a starter combo with parts I have laying around. I putting together a F-2 on a 6.0 iron block w/ L92 heads. Didnt know if there would be enough benifit in the additional cost of upgrading to prevent the enevitable time bomb from going off.
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:46 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure if I would with standard L92 heads, the deck is going to be your weak spot.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input Phil. I knew the studs were the same price as each other just the addition of the conversion itself. I was wondering myself if the deck of the L92's would be questionable before any benifit of the 1/2" studs would play any benefit. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Standard size studs can hold very well even around 1000bhp or a little more.

Fitting 1/2" studs to the block, appears to be a very big job, so quite costly.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

i did 1/2 studs this past winter becuase with a metric stud i fire slotted the block and head(alot like a mustang, in the center of the bore towards the headers. dont know if that was because my block might have been a little untrue but i did come to find out that the deck of my heads was like a tsunami according to the machinist. a man by the name of Stanley Morton in Tulsa, Ok did the conversion for me i believe he charged 350 for the work and it only took him a week to do it. came out just fine as far as i can see everything sits very nice and the studs were true as far as i could tell.

jeff
Old 07-01-2008, 12:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the wait isnt too long for l19 do that.

A stock diameter l19 stud is good to 100lb/ft torque same as a 1/2 stud but without the issues of having to have the block machines, head bolt holes enlarged and having to order custom studs.

2 things will help keep the motor together
-make sure the motor is tq plated and bored/honed at the tq spec you plan to use with the new studs

-keep the tune conservative just a little bit of detonation can casue you to lift the heads and blow a gasket.

i have 1 of 3-4 9/16 studded blocks and it's a pain in the ***, custom gaskets, studs, dowels, and a set of heavily modded AFR's that can never be sold again.

Quick Reply: 1/2" head stud conversion questions.