Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cleaning chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning chrome wheels

Hi guys. I've got a 2000 SS that, between apartment parking lots and **** managers, didn't get washed for a bit over a year. I cleaned up the body and such now, but the wheels are utterly coated with brake dust and crap. Soapy water, rough towels, nylon brushes, no help. What should I do to clean these wheels... or is it too late?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-12-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I do is: Wash your car first and make sure to get in the grooves of every wheel with soapy water and wash it off in the end. After I'm done washing the car and drying it, I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover (use an old bath towel to dry your dirty wheels off before you start this) It comes in a 12 Fl. Oz. bottle and can be found anywhere. I put a thin layer of it on the wheel with a paper towel starting at one point and going around the wheel and remember where you start. After you made your way all around the wheel, get a clean paper towel at this point and just wipe away all the stuff that you put on from where you started and make your way all the way around again. I love the stuff, use it before every car show. Makes chrome (and alloys on the V6) look amazing.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wash the rims, and use the mother's chrome polisher... makes the rims look BRAND NEW!!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

A clay bar will also remove the brake dust and other contaminants. Sounds like its been on there a while, so it will take some work.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

I would clean with something like Eagle One All Wheel and Tire cleaner, claybar as needed, and polish with a chrome polish. Once that's done, they'll stay nice a lot longer with a quality paint sealant a couple of times a year.

Quick Reply: Cleaning chrome wheels