Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

guage install Q's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guage install Q's?

forgive me if this is the wrong forum, I'm not sure where to post this...

I have the full pillar and autometer fuel pressure, air/fuel, and water temp guages. Any tips/tricks?
Which wire do I need to tap on the o2 sensor?
Old 10-03-2003, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: guage install Q's?

I'm not sure about the fuel pressure gauge, but i just installed my water temp and a/f gauge, it wasnt that hard just time consuming (i had no help) anyways, i just separated my ground wires, 12v, and ignition wires, then i drilled a spot in the a-pillar and ran them through there, once that was in place, i removed the panel under the steering wheel and found plenty of good spots for my ground wires (by the way, when the a-pillar is off, you can see where you can run the wires behind the dash for a clean installation)i used the headlight fuse for my 12v source, that way, the gauge lights only come on when the headlights do, i then used the gauge cluster fuse for the ignition source (theres a diagram on the back of the fuse panel cover) and as far as the a/f gauge hook up, i just used a wiring harness that i got from LS1 Motorsports, (they explain it better on their website)but LM Performance has them too, click here --> A/F HARNESS hope this helps, i had to use trial and error, and did alot of cussing, hopefully this will save you both!!
Old 10-04-2003, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need for the A/F harness, all it does is spline into the high signal wire, which you can do easily by yourself. There is a small violet wire which is the one you want to tap into. You can tap into it up by the PCM. Follow the wires from down in that area and figure out which clump of wires has the one you want. On my car, the clump had two violet wires, but one was much larger than the other, and I chose the smaller of the two. Look are your O2 sensor and see what color wires are coming from it to be sure. I think mine were red/black/violet/off white.

If you need any help, just shoot me an e-mail.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got it done! Only one problem...
The water temp. I tapped into the white wire on the sensor on the front of the drivers side head. Gauge works but the stock one is now dead...Any ideas why?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahaa... You can't tap it off the stock gauge!!! The reason you got a new water temp gauge is to give accurate readings. The new gauge will read the same as the stock, which is pointless becasue the stock one doesnt give accurate readings. The sender is was gives off readings, not the gauge.

What you need to do is put a whole different sender into the block so it gives its own reading. Easy way to put one is above the starter. You need a sending adapter, M16x1.5 I think. Drop the starter, drain the coolant, and remove the stock plug, viola! Or you could try to put it in the head by the #8 cylinder but good luck getting back there!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Teching In

I have an '01 Z28 and I found the best place to get the correct wire is to tap into the purple with the white strip wire right at the fuel rail on the driver side. Just follow the wire loom up and it is among all the wire off the main wiring harness.

Quick Reply: guage install Q's?