Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What are the stock speaker sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are the stock speaker sizes?

I have a 98 Z28. Also are they special kind of speaker like what was in my 97 firebird with monsoon system. I am looking at just changing the speakers and keeping the headunit and changer. I am looking at either Infinity or Polk audio...whatcha think?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2002, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: What are the stock speaker sizes?

It is similar to your 97 Firebird monsoon, except that the wiring and ohm ratings are a bit different between the Firebird and Camaro systems. There are 6.5 S (6.5 inch oversize, also known as 6.75 inch) speakers in the doors and rear seat side panels. I forget the exact size in the hatch area, but those don't really matter anyhow.

The problem with your plan, is that because of how crappy the monsoon amp is, and how the factory setup uses odd ohm ratings, you can't really just replace the speakers. They won't play nearly as loud as the stock speakers, and they won't sound any better.
check SShevy's web page for a great Monsoon FAQ: http://members.aol.com/kustomz28/webpage/homepage.html

<small>[ March 28, 2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: TTopJohn ]</small>
Old 03-28-2002, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok is there a direct fit replacement headunit for our cars and will it work with the changer? I hate the small headunit and big gap syndrome.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Here's how I did it.
6.5s fit fine in the back seat, the factory ones are 2 ohm, the one's I used are 4 ohm but they sound great.

My Grand Cherokee has the Infinity system in it, and all of the factory speakers are 2 ohm. I replaced all of them with the same 652Is that I just put in my Z and although they may not be quite as loud, you really can't tell a difference.

If you're in DFW I'd be glad to demonstrate either car to ya.

Quick Reply: What are the stock speaker sizes?