Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tips on leather install

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tips on leather install

Just want to know if anyone here who has done there own. Was it hard? Any complaints? Any tips? Just want to know because mine are on the way.Thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2003, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Tips on leather install

I changed the leather out in my car and let me tell you the rear seats are a pain in the ***. I had the front seats done in a day and it took me two weeks to do the rears working on and off. Also didnt help that I stripped one of the fold down brackets for the back seat so I had to order a new one from the dealer. $35 damn dollars. Besides new covers your also going to need new rings to hold down the lower back seats covers.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how bout with whole new seats...going from cloth to leather? Mine are one the way. I'm just totally replacing the seats themselves thanks
Old 10-19-2003, 11:56 PM
9 Second Club

Do the rings come with the kit or do you have to buy them. And if you have to buy them where do you get it.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

I got the rings from my moms work. Tomorrow ill talk to her and see how much it was for the rings and the clamp tool. You can order it from her company directly.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:44 AM
Chop-Foo Director

If you're ordering as part of the leather interior GP,
I'm pretty sure it comes with the install kit, tools, rings
included.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do the rings come with the kit or do you have to buy them. And if you have to buy them where do you get it.
If you bought katzkin leather kit, the hog rings and the tool to attach them came with the kit.

For the guy installing new seats in his car, dude, puttin the seats in and out is easy as cake, front and back are both easy, if you are re-covering your seats like I did, then that is a different story.
-Steve
Old 10-20-2003, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

here are some tips from one of my other threads for katzkin leather:

Ok, got done with my leather now except for the front door panels (saving that PITA job for later...)
Here are some tips, take your time, it sucks.
The pass seat is easier, do it first
remove the seat from the car
disassemble the two seats on the sides, 2 on the outside of the seat use a 13mm socket, the other side looks like a start (forgot the technical name) but the socket for that comes with the install kit.
Do the bottom first
turn it over
remove the bracket with the 13mm socket
set to the side
long plastic c-clips hold the old cloth to the seat, remmove them, peal cloth away
before removing from the top, slide your hand towards the back lifting on the cloth to pull it away from the velcro, this helps to not tear the foam and makes the seat look better.
re-install the same way, make sure to stick the velcro on the seat to the velcro on the inside of the seat.
the c-clips on the bottom are a PITA, I did the back, then the front, then the sides. All i have to say about this is good luck, and use some muscle.

For the top portion, it's pretty easy, I used some glue along with the velcro to make sure it stayed tight to the seat, zipper it up when your all done.

re-assemble and your done

The pass seat took me 4.5hrs to do, not knowing a damn thing.

The drivers side seat is a bigger PITA because it has power. When removing the seat, make SURE to lift the seat as hugh as possible with the two paddles on the side of the seat director. This will allow you to get at both 13mm bolts on the bottom of the seat when removing the brqacket. I didn't do this and the damn seat had to go back in the f'n car, talk about a pita!
Other than the actuators and all that jaz, the seat is the same.

I will have some pics soon, along with the custom embroidery.

I do have to ask, how did you guys get your back seat panel so tight? Mine doesn't look that tight, I make have to go back at it with some glue.

-Steve

here are some pics:

Old 10-20-2003, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

JMWS6, if you have the lumbar/sidebolster seats, you will have to do some sewing on the sides to attach the leather to the expandable bellows. I'm no seamster, but my wife was able to do it fairly easily.
I had zero problems with the back seat, and zero problems with the bottom of the front seats. The upright portion of the fronts was a pain - mostly because of the sewing, and the doors I had an upholstery shop do...
good luck!
Shane
Old 10-20-2003, 07:24 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys. Yes the leather is off the gp. And I just wanted some pointers. I guess I will learn how to sew on the sides. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: Tips on leather install