Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

meguiars swirl X

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default meguiars swirl X

just wondering if anybody has used it? ive done searches and seen that 3M is a popular choice for removing swirls. but i dont know if the local parts store has 3M. also, just wondering if there was any particular applicator i should use when applying it?
Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know anything about the Mequires swirl cutter, but to see results you will most likely need a Porter Cable or similar. The swirl cutter will work you to death applying it by hand and the results will be minimal.

Last edited by 99zee; 03-31-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks for the reply..i think my buddy has one so that should help. just curious how great this stuff works.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think i have both and recently picked up the swirl X, i hadnt seen it before and i think its a new product.

anyways the swirl X is a really thick product. it comes out very thick and is hard to get out of the bottle, but when you do i had great results with it. the first application i did really made the gloss of the paint look deeper but still left swirl marks. the second coat i did, i was determined to get them out no matter what, and i used the buffer and held it over a section till i determined i had gone over it at every angle at every force possible on the buffer.

long story short i had good results with it, but take your time applying it. do one small section at a time, first coat using a buffer apply the buffer with hard pressure. second coat use light pressure meaning the buffer will use high speed. and for a third coat i used tutle wax ice wax (meguiars tech wax reccomended but they are both synthetic waxes)

i managed to get the swirls out of my drivers side quarter panel and drivers side door till i ran out of patience and daylight and rushed the rest. hopefully this summer when i have more time i will be able to get the rest of the car, but i noticed dramatic results just being patient and using a cheap sears orbital buffer that i got 8 years ago. it restored the deep shine that i was looking for in my paint, even dirty and covered in lubbock dust, leaving the library the other night i could see it gleaming from across the lot under the street light

my recomendation for you is to start on a small patch on the quarter panel, and re work it till you get the swirls out. move towards the front of the car buffing small sections

Last edited by chrysler kid; 03-31-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i clay bared, then used this twice on my hood and tail, then waxed twice with a nano wax. all by hand, cant afford a damn buffer what u crazy? i was very pleased with the results and made a significant difference than other body panels...
Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Launching!

For the consumer line... Skip everything and go straight to the ultimate compound for any correction. Finishes identically to scratch-x and swirl-x... Finish with NXT 2.0. If you're applying by hand, you WANT to follow this advice.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys. glad to hear you guys had good experiences with the swirl X. NBM is such a nice color but with the swirls not so much..lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

process

clean car with megiars car wash solution (it comes in a purple bottle and its like $2.99 or something, its cheap at walmart)
dry car using clean towels
apply the wax onto the buffer/pad (should be a silver dollar size dab in the middle of the pad)
Rub the pad around on the section before turning the buffer on to prevent slinging of the wax compound
turn buffer on and move over selected area applying different levels of pressure as you go over the surfaces of the paint slowly. for instance go over the first seciont you pick holding the buffer down snug against the surface moving it along slowly, then go back over it holding it lighter against the surface. you should notice the wax will become powdery or gummy as it dries, if you feel you want to buff more apply another quarter sized dab of wax onto the pad and rub again. you can also use distilled water occasionally to keep the wax from drying

pro-tip. practice makes perfect. the swirl-x is very easy to clean off the surface one it has dried (well easier than most waxes) after it dries and you have cleaned it off take a step back from it and see if the swirls have improved. if they havent try going over the area again applying minimal pressure so the cheap random orbital buffer spins fast. go over the areas slowly and take your time. (some parts of my car were harder to get rid of swirls than others, but i was determined to either rub the swirls out or rub the finish off lol) thats why i say select a small are of your car to work on first, so you can tell what process you ned to use for the rest of that panel. dont be surprised if you havev to do 2-3 coats on your first few sections or even the whole car

once you have recieved the desired results or ones your happy with, apply your favorite wax to seal the compound. its reccomended to use a synthetic like meguars nxt (atleast i think thats what it reccomends on the bottle)
Old 03-31-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
process

clean car with megiars car wash solution (it comes in a purple bottle and its like $2.99 or something, its cheap at walmart)
dry car using clean towels
apply the wax onto the buffer/pad (should be a silver dollar size dab in the middle of the pad)
Rub the pad around on the section before turning the buffer on to prevent slinging of the wax compound
turn buffer on and move over selected area applying different levels of pressure as you go over the surfaces of the paint slowly. for instance go over the first seciont you pick holding the buffer down snug against the surface moving it along slowly, then go back over it holding it lighter against the surface. you should notice the wax will become powdery or gummy as it dries, if you feel you want to buff more apply another quarter sized dab of wax onto the pad and rub again. you can also use distilled water occasionally to keep the wax from drying

pro-tip. practice makes perfect. the swirl-x is very easy to clean off the surface one it has dried (well easier than most waxes) after it dries and you have cleaned it off take a step back from it and see if the swirls have improved. if they havent try going over the area again applying minimal pressure so the cheap random orbital buffer spins fast. go over the areas slowly and take your time. (some parts of my car were harder to get rid of swirls than others, but i was determined to either rub the swirls out or rub the finish off lol) thats why i say select a small are of your car to work on first, so you can tell what process you ned to use for the rest of that panel. dont be surprised if you havev to do 2-3 coats on your first few sections or even the whole car

once you have recieved the desired results or ones your happy with, apply your favorite wax to seal the compound. its reccomended to use a synthetic like meguars nxt (atleast i think thats what it reccomends on the bottle)

awesome!! thanks alot chrysler!! much appreciated!! yeah i got the meguiars NXT also.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crashinaz
For the consumer line... Skip everything and go straight to the ultimate compound for any correction. Finishes identically to scratch-x and swirl-x... Finish with NXT 2.0. If you're applying by hand, you WANT to follow this advice.
+1 for ultimate compound. It removes the toughest of oxidation and swirls with minimal work.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Menzerna Polish dumdumdum!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slingshot928
Menzerna Polish dumdumdum!
swirl x = $8 for the win
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackls1maro
+1 for ultimate compound. It removes the toughest of oxidation and swirls with minimal work.
I 3rd this notion! Skip all others and go stright to this stuff, it works magic, then top it off with your choice of carnuba wax or meguirs NXT 2.0
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Whats the best way to apply the Ultimate Compound? My NBM camaro has swirls like crazy and it drives me nuts! almost to the point where I wanna say screw it, Im gonna get a new paint job! But again, whats the best way to apply the Ultimate Compound for best results?

-Curtis
Old 04-06-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wantsaLS1
Whats the best way to apply the Ultimate Compound? My NBM camaro has swirls like crazy and it drives me nuts! almost to the point where I wanna say screw it, Im gonna get a new paint job! But again, whats the best way to apply the Ultimate Compound for best results?

-Curtis

bro, tell me about..swirl marks are insane on NBM..lol..
Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've only applied ultimate compound by hand. Usually in a X, V, or figure 8 motion. I let it dry, then buff it off with a microfiber cloth.

Even by hand, I get great results. It probably works even better with a DA polisher, but I'd rather spend my money on go fast parts.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Launching!

I had pretty good results using a orbital buffer. I picked up a 6" Black and Decker from Lowe's for around 40 bucks. I used a foam pad to apply and then a microfiber cloth to remove.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Ultimate compound and an Orange pad work great by PC.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to try this stuff out later this week...

A few helpful misc. links for reference to anyone else interested:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31979

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=30630

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=30732

Meguiars Aggressiveness Order for New Products

Last edited by John02Hawk; 06-23-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

With compounds/polishes you probably shouldn't be allowing it to dry before removal...

I'm going to attempt to find a thread on the detailing forums to post here, it'll show you exactly why.

Quick Reply: meguiars swirl X