Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Powder coating Coil Packs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Powder coating Coil Packs??

I'm having Sean (Silverghost) powdercoat me some stuff and I was thinking about having him do my coil packs as well. He did his own and said that he's doesn't seem to be having any issues to speak of but that no other powdercoater really want's to try because of the heat.

I was just wondering if any of you other guys have done this and what your experiences are. I don't want to paint them. I would like something a little more durable.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. I did my own..but far as I know I'm the only one that's had the nuts to try it due to fear of cooking the internals and killing them. Mine seem to work fine, but I did buy another set used on here at the time just in case they didn't work after I coated them. I decided to do it because I could never get paint to stay on them. No matter what I tried, they would all be chipped up and crappy looking at the end of every season just from the usual maintenance and working in the engine bay, etc.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Yup. I did my own..but far as I know I'm the only one that's had the nuts to try it due to fear of cooking the internals and killing them. Mine seem to work fine, but I did buy another set used on here at the time just in case they didn't work after I coated them. I decided to do it because I could never get paint to stay on them. No matter what I tried, they would all be chipped up and crappy looking at the end of every season just from the usual maintenance and working in the engine bay, etc.
Yep... I've also tried painting them in the past and have had the same problem as Sean. I wanted something much more durable. Just looking to see if anyone else has done this or had this done and how their coil packs held up?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myself and a few friends of mine on here all painted our coil packs with regular paint you'd get from Auto Zone. Mine almost came out perfect, and my friend's are flawless. They scuffed up the surface and then used filler primer, paint, then clear, and their perfect.

That's another option, as long as your not scraping them up.

Quick Reply: Powder coating Coil Packs??